Bristol Crowds March to Save the NHS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Around 2000 people came together in Bristol this weekend to march against the changes to the junior doctor contracts. It was a peaceful protest met by motorists beeping their horns in support of those marching. The end of the march saw everyone gathering on College Green to hear doctors, patients and MPs talk about the subject. There were tears in the eyes of many there. Slogans on placards were heart-felt and the trail of balloons that signified doctors who couldn’t attend because they were working was particularly touching.

Unless you read Gagandeep’s recent article for HC, you may not have heard about the recent proposed changes to junior doctor contracts. The changes have barely been represented in mainstream media, but doctors, medical students and other NHS staff are determined to make the public aware of the magnitude of these changes and what they mean for the future of the NHS.

This contract will affect all junior doctors, that is any doctor below consultancy level: the majority of NHS doctors. The government want to change junior doctor contracts so that their standard hours of work are 90 hours a week (up from 60) and “social hours” will be considered 7am-10pm from Monday to Saturday, instead of 7am-7pm from Monday to Friday. Not that seven to seven is particularly social in the first place!

What does this change? Well, doctors before us have fought hard for the “banding system” whereby working after 7pm or working on a weekend earns you more pay. The new changes will mean that many junior doctors will effectively take a 15-40% pay cut, of a salary which is actually much lower than is generally perceived to be anyway. 

This is demoralising. Junior doctors will be forced to work unsafe hours for less pay. Removing safeguards for safe working hours will create exhausted doctors and this will lead to mistakes being made. That, or junior doctors will go to work in other countries where they don’t have to worry that they will be jeopardising patient or personal health through their own exhaustion.

(Photo credit: Janis Burns)

“Why?!” I hear you cry. What are the reasons behind these proposed changes? Well, apparently it’s all part of Jeremy Hunt’s plan to create a “7-day NHS,” despite the fact that this is what we already have. Worryingly, since Mr Hunt publicly voiced his plans to “create” a 7-day NHS a few weeks ago, people have been refraining from going to A&E at weekends because they thought that it wouldn’t be open.

Doctors are desperate to get the message out that this is not the case, and you can always receive care, especially emergency care, at any hour, any day. 

Doctors are very aware that another reason for the proposed changes is to aid the Tory agenda of the privatisation of the NHS by forcing doctors to work unsafe hours, subsequently forcing them to make mistakes through exhaustion, so that examples can be made and private healthcare plans implemented. There are so many things wrong with this. Vulnerable patients, such as the elderly or mentally ill, will be brushed under the rug. Also disturbing is that the government is happy for patients’ lives to be put at risk and to use them as examples, in order to force the NHS into privatisation. 

(Infographic credit: Sara Otung)

I wish I could tell you that I’m exaggerating, but I’m not. Junior doctors are now considering taking strike action; something that has only happened twice since the NHS was launched in 1948. Many consultants, nurses and allied health professionals have stated that they would support junior doctors striking by ensuring that all necessary care is still delivered to patients on that day of action. Word on the grapevine is that the Conservative government are seeing this as an empty threat. It isn’t; it will happen if the proposed changes are not retracted. In the meantime, protest marches have and will go ahead.

Saturday 10th October saw around 2,000 peaceful protestors march through Bristol City Centre and there will be a huge march in London on the 17th October too.

What can you do to help? Crucially, spread the word! Then, join us at the march in London on the 17th, write to your MP, and sign the petition. Doctors want you to know that these changes directly affect patient safety, and that your help is needed to oppose them.

The NHS is something to be proud of and needs protecting; a public health service CAN work. Please, support it and save it. 

Her Campus magazine