taylor swift jack antonoff anti
taylor swift jack antonoff anti
Republic Records

Review of Bleachers singles as their album release approaches

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Jack Antonoff has mastered the pop song. He knows the formula of hit singles, and now he can just experiment.

Back in November, I bought tickets for his show in March and I was not worried for a second if I would like his new music (which had not yet been released.) I trusted him completely. There is some truth to the complaint that he has secured a monopoly over the indie pop girlies, but his talent speaks to why.

The lead single, Modern Girl, released in September, is possibly my favourite Bleachers song of all time. One of the best things that Bleachers brings to pop music is the range of instruments used; the horn, saxophone and synth combination bring vintage sounds to the modern day, with emphasis on a live band rather than overproduction. This is referenced explictly in Modern Girl through the lyric ‘Evan Smith, tiny sax’ as Evan Smith is the sax player for the band. Everything on the track is exaggerated, maximalist, and full of energy. I can only hope I get to hear it live. The lyrics are a little cheesy, sure, but in a danceable way – I want to be the Modern Girl in the same way I want to be Arctic Monkeys’ Arabella. She’s the IT Girl of 2024 indie pop.

taylor swift jack antonoff anti
Republic Records

That said, Alma Mater fell short for me. I am a fan of Antonoffs dance pop, his work with artists like Lorde, Taylor Swift and The 1975. I have not yet come around to Lana Del Rey, who collaborated on Alma Mater. Although she’s talented, it lacks something for me. Alma Mater is slow, reflective and nostalgic, with the title referring to a school previously attended by the singer. The apathy which he sings ‘Screaming “F*ck Balenziaga”’ is ironic, but not exciting. Alma Mater is a good song, but it is not my song – I hoped this wasn’t the direction the album was taking. Lana is not the only collaborator for the new album – Florence Welch and Aaron Dessner are already credited. All three of these artist have worked with Jack Antonoff before on their own music, and their close connection will hopefully allow for an intimate record.

However, when Tiny Moves came out a few days ago, it only enhanced my excitement. With the pacing somewhere between the ballard of Alma Mater and the Americana pop of Modern Girl, it remains fun but shows the range of the album. The music video features Margaret Qualley, whom Antonoff married last August, dancing around a car park at dusk, before joining him. The video nods to 80’s rom-coms, to the nostalgia which can be felt across all three singles. It’s a timeless love song. A further, still unreleased, track is titled ‘Margo’, presumably also referencing Margaret Qualley. It is shaping up to be an album of love, which is long-awaited. Jack Antonoff spoke about Tiny Moves last year, saying that after his sister’s death at 18, he could write about nothing but loss, but this new project has finally allowed new emotions in. As much as his painfully emotional songs, such as I Wanna Get Better, have a place in my heart, I am excited for him to let a little happiness into his work.

In some ways, the band are taking a new direction, alongside their signing to the new label, Dirty Hit (also home to Rina Sawayama, Wolf Alice and Beabedoobee). Yet, simultaneously, everything that made Bleachers unique and recognisable is still present. The new self-titled album, Bleachers, will be released 8th of March.

Hi, I’m Bella, a second year liberal arts student. I love to read, go to galleries and see live music.
Alex Boersma

Bristol '26

I am currently studying English and philosophy at the University of Bristol and am a music editor for Her Campus :)