This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

One of Bristol’s many good qualities is its extensive food options. Sometimes it’s hard to make a decision on where to go, especially if you’re taking somebody you want to impress. For me, when showing my mum around the city last week, I opted for Bravas, thinking it would be halfway between the fun student vibes of Whiteladies Road, and the sophistication of Clifton. It exceeded my expectations. 

Situated on Cotham Hill, just ten minutes from the heart of Bristol Uni’s campus, Bravas is a casually elegant tapas restaurant with a Bristol twist. If you live further out, or want to take people who do, the restaurant is also less than five minutes from Clifton Down Station, so it’s easy to get to from almost anywhere. Their website puts forward the goal of being a place ‘where customers will feel the welcoming atmosphere of a local pub but the quality of food you would expect in a great restaurant.’ The idea of a local pub, as I see it, is half-full with old men, sports matches playing on screens in the corner, and one wine option. None of this applies to the lively tapas bar that is Bravas. I have never been to a pub with jars of capers, chickpeas and olives lining the walls, but the second half of their statement rings true – great restaurant quality food.

The restaurant is small with just sixteen seats inside, including those around the bar where you can watch your food and drinks being made. In summer, there is also an outside space on the street, with the addendum that inside seats can be booked but outside cannot. As a result of the size the one-room restaurant feels intimate, but despite always being busy, they can often squeeze you into a corner or the end of a bar. However, most tables are two-seaters, so larger groups may be more difficult. The bottles of wine and cookbooks go all the way up to the ceiling and heighten the crowded impression, making you aware that you are in the centre of a dynamic city. For a sit-down dinner it’s a little cramped, a little busy and a little loud, but for snacking and drinking it’s perfect. 

Eating out in Bristol is almost always more expensive than you bargained for, but Bravas was reasonably priced for tapas. Dishes average between £5 for a vegetable or cheese option or £9 for the meat or fish. Even as a vegetarian, I found plenty of choice in their ever-changing menu. The drinks are a little more pricey, especially for cocktails and wine, but cold water is always provided immediately and constantly refilled. While I was not personally a fan of the patatas bravas (their dipping approach, while inventive, doesn’t beat the classic) I can confidently say that their tortilla was one of the best I have ever eaten, with plenty of aioli on the side. Their salads lie somewhere between these two potato dishes, with interesting flavours, great execution, but not a quality that would make me return just for them. 

Bravas averages a 4.7 star review on google, and I would be inclined to agree; it was close to being the best food I’ve eaten here, but not quite. I would recommend it for a celebration, a date, or just to treat yourself.

Hi, I’m Bella, a second year liberal arts student. I love to read, go to galleries and see live music.