Kellyn Simpkin-Girl In Front Of Eiffel Tower France Hat Paris
Kellyn Simpkin / Her Campus
Style

9 Things that I Learnt About Fashion Whilst Living in Paris

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Last year I spent 6 months studying in Paris, and one of the biggest things that I noticed was the French relationship with fashion, beauty, and style. Style is an incredible form of personal expression, and obviously very individual, but here are a few invaluable lessons that I learnt from the Parisians which have changed the way that I think about my connection with fashion and are, in my opinion, key to always looking pretty damn good.

1.     Red lipstick is always appropriate:

The way it pulls together an outfit is honestly magical. Also, if you can’t be bothered to put on makeup but still want to look glam, moisturiser, mascara, and a red lip are a formidable combo.

2.     Power suits:

It’s all in the name really – they look amazing and make you feel unstoppable. There are so many different styles to choose from, from simple black, to patterned, to bright block colours, to velvet there’s really something for everyone. And they aren’t just for serious work meetings, you can dress them up with heels, or transform them to everyday wear by swapping the trousers in for a pair of jeans and wear with boots or white trainers. Or just wear the suit as it is every day because you’re a powerful lady and you deserve to look wonderful and powerful all of the time.

3.     Your outfit should make you feel a certain way:

Whether it’s empowered, chic, studious, glamorous, your outfit should reinforce your sense of self. Dressing for the job you want is really a thing, even in its loosest definition – I always find that looking the part really helps me get into the mindset of what I’m trying to achieve that day.

4.     Making an outfit that you almost certainly spent hours perfecting look absolutely effortless is a very specific skill, but a very important one:

No one needs to know that you woke up at 5am to blow dry your hair in that specific way, or to perfect your winged eyeliner. Let them think that you just rolled out of bed, threw on some clothes and did your makeup whilst downing your morning coffee. You didn’t even need to do your hair because the bed head look is so good on you!

Kellyn Simpkin-Girl Hat Eyes Smile
Kellyn Simpkin / Her Campus

5.     Not looking like a flasher when you wear a trench coat is an accomplishment, but when it’s good, it’s really good:

If Burberry is a bit out of your student budget try this classic looking one from Stradivarius. Or if you’re feeling a little groovier, this vinyl trench coat from ASOS is on sale and very cool:

6.     Embrace the way your body changes and let it do its thing:

This is a hard one, it’s often really difficult to accept all of your body and the way it looks at different times, but from what I’ve experienced, the French attitude towards this is quite empowering. Feeling bloated on your period? That’s ok! It’s natural and actually pretty beautiful, so wear that body-con dress that you bought for that party because you look great in it. Alternatively, buy a long, loose, swishy dress and wear that throughout the duration of your menstruation – make it an event. As Caroline de Maigret says: “you’re not a slave to the cult of the perfect body – so learn to make the best of what nature gave you”           

7.     Any part of your body is sexy if you want it to be:

Do as the Victorians did and let your ankles be scandalous again. Whilst obviously it’s more than possible to look sexy in lots of clothes (or lack thereof), there is something hot about the concept ‘less is more’, and the transference of sexuality onto previously disregarded parts of the body. The intrigue lies in the mystery, the suggestion of sexiness. For example, wearing a white top with a black bra underneath, a big jumper that falls off the shoulder slightly, or a top with a plunging back.

8.     What looks good on you is more important than what’s in fashion at the time:

Fashion trends come and go, but style is unchangeable. Find your own sense of style and you’ll always look incredible or take inspiration from style icons of the past and present for some tried and tested looks.

9.     If you feel good, you look good. Confidence is key:

Probably the most important lesson that I learnt whilst being away; fashion and style are subjective and personal, but however you dress should make you happy and comfortable, empower you, and let you take on the world looking and feeling amazing.

Relationships Editor of Her Campus Bristol
Her Campus magazine