5 Places To Explore During Bristol Freshers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

If you’re new to Bristol and want to check out what the city has to offer, Her Campus have got it covered. Here are 5 places you have to explore in your first term at Bristol.

1. Clifton Suspension Bridge

Arguably Bristol’s most iconic landmark, the Suspension Bridge is a must-visit. It’s a short walk from Clifton Village, meaning you have no excuses to miss out and the views won’t disappoint. Visit the Avon Gorge Hotel bar, which has a roof terrace with amazing views of the bridge and its surroundings, or walk over the bridge, which brings us to our next spot…

(Image: discoverclifton)

1. Ashton Court Estate

Ashton Court is a beautiful 860-acre estate and an oasis of calm just minutes from the bustling city centre. After you walk across the suspension bridge, keep going for a few minutes, pop through the gate and you’ll reach this gorgeous plot of land, perfect for picnics, relaxing walks or checking out Ashton Court Mansion. Look out for the deer and rabbits too!

(Image: flikr)

1. Gloucester Road and Stokes Croft

During first year, many people stay in the ‘student bubble’ – that is, going to uni, going out on the triangle and doing little else. To make the most of your experience in Bristol, try and explore other areas, and not just at night time. Think of Gloucester Road as the quirky cousin of glamorous Park Street. Awesome street art, fantastic cafes and lively bars make the Gloucester Road/ Stokes Croft area one of the most fun places in Bristol. It is very popular with students and you’ll soon see why! We would recommend that Stokes Croft virgins go to Café Kino for an amazing vegetarian meal and Attic Bar for drinks.

(Image: the Guardian)

1. The Harbourside

The Harbourside is one of Bristol’s prettiest places, and the perfect place for people (and boat) watching on a sunny day. So take a stroll down the river and see what you can find! From a nightclub on a boat (Thekla) to super cheap pubs (Apple, also on a boat) and countless eating spots, theres plenty to do. It’s the perfect place to go on a lazy Saturday and check out the cute market that is there every weekend. The Harbourside is also home to the Watershed cinema, which sells student tickets for just £4.50. 

(Image: findingmyfit)

1. St. Nick’s Market

Nustled in Bristol’s centre is the St. Nicholas market, a great place to wander through, grab a bite to eat and see what local independent traders have to offer. Whilst the Covered Market and the Glass Arcade is open Monday to Saturday, the other markets vary from day to day. The Nails Market is on Fridays and Saturdays, where you can buy artwork, handmade jewellery, vintage clothes and more. The Farmers’ Market is held on Wednesdays and the Friday Food Market offers the chance to buy delicious local produce and street food!

(Image: bristolpound)

Happy exploring! HC xo

Abbie is Lifestyle Editor for HC Bristol, currently studying English at the University of Bristol.
Her Campus magazine