This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Chanel has Lift Off 

You can always count on Chanel to put on a show. Whether the models hit the runway in an extremely fashionable supermarket (a/w 2014) or in a fancy Parisian bistro (a/w 2015) the staging is always just as detailed as the clothes that inspire it. This year, the high fashion brand took their staging aesthetic to new heights (literally), with a ginormous 120-foot rocket ship that actually lifted off the ground to Elton John’s “Rocket Man” as the show came to a close. According to Karl Lagerfeld, creative director and head designer for Chanel, the show was “a journey through the sky, to the heart of constellations, in the wake of astronaut Thomas Pesquet”.

(Picture Credit: Harper’s Bazaar)  

Those Glitter Boots 

Without a doubt, the talk of Paris Fashion Week was those fantastic Saint Laurent silver glitter boots. The shin high sparklers were the epitome of glamour but at a retail price of $10k, unfortunately it is very unlikely that any of us will be owning them any time soon. Hopefully the high street will come up with something similar!

(Picture Credit: Bravo)

Nicki’s Nip Slip 

At Haider Ackerman’s show it wasn’t the clothes on the runway that were the centre of attention but the clothes (of lack of them) off it, in the form of Nicki Minaj who sat front row. Niki has always been known for her outlandish fashion choices and this year she channeled Lil’ Kim’s 1999 VMA ensemble, wearing a tailored asymmetrical jacket with patch of black tape to cover her nipple. Niki received mixed reviews on Twitter for her dare to bare look- but you know what they say: “If you’ve got it, flaunt it!”

(Picture Credit: Buzzfeed)

University of Rihanna 

Rihanna recently received an honorary humanitarian award from Harvard University and it seems like she has channeled this into the aesthetic of her new Fenty x Puma collection. The collection, which was shown in a room filled with (allegedly) 1 billion books was a mix of old school hip hop meets homeroom meets Harry Potter.

(Picture Credit: Vogue)

Black Models Matter 

Last year creative director of Balenciaga, Demma Gvasalia, was berated for the lack of diversity amongst models in his show and this year wasn’t much better with only 4 out of 47 models being women of colour. Topless protesters gathered outside the Balenciaga show this year with signs and placards reading “Black Models Matter”, “Make Fashion Diverse Again,” and “Models Speak Up”. Indi Irvin, who promoted the protest on her Instagram said of the protest: “The press and public, I believed, reacted beautifully during our riot. So many well wishes and right on’s! But you can be sure the police were not so happy with us and the crowd went wild as tensions heated. In Paris, to protest you must get permission from the Police days before and they have to approve. Also nudity is not allowed. But I’m all about breaking the rules esp. when it comes to nipple equality and women and culture rights!”

(Picture Credit: Huffington Post)

Her Campus magazine