Style > Decor

5 Essentials to Upgrade Your Uni Room for Autumn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

It’s getting to that time of year where you’ve settled back in to uni, and have hopefully stopped spending a fortune on takeaways every week. You might even have a bit of spare money.. and what with us spending more time that ever in our houses and bedrooms, what better way to spend that money than on some cute new pieces for your room. So, I’ve compiled a list of my top five essentials to upgrade your uni room for the colder months 

Fairy Lights

This is an obvious one, so bare with me, but instead of the traditional fairy lights you might drape round your wardrobe or stick up on your ceiling, a really good investment are hanging curtain fairy lights. They stretch across the entirety of a wall and can be attached with command hooks which don’t leave any marks – we will be getting that full deposit back, thank you! Because of how big they are they can really light up your whole room and make the space feel cosy and warm – make sure you pick ones with a yellow undertone. 

A Cosy, Autumnal Throw

As the nights draw in and it gets colder, our poorly insulated uni houses can get super cold, so a throw is always a useful item to have. Choosing a different, autumnal colour like mustard yellow or burgundy can be a really low-effort way to alter your room decor, and it looks great draped across your freshly-made bed in the morning. They can also be used as a shawl for house movie nights!

Up-to-date Prints

Photo prints are another obvious way to upgrade your room, but I often find I reuse the same old photos and never bother to change up my photo wall. Making an order of some recent photos and attaching these to your wall can be a low-cost way to make a big difference to your room. It’s also a nice way to reflect on good times and look forward to future plans too. 

A Yoga Mat

Not exactly decor, but an essential all the same, a yoga mat is super useful for all kinds of exercise in your room. Often, uni house floors are very solid, so it’s not the best or the most comfortable to work-out on. I also find making little investments like this can really help motivate you to exercise, and being able to exercise in your room is super useful in winter or if you are in self-isolation! 

An Autumnal Scented Candle/Reed Diffuser

Last but by no means least, and perhaps my personal favourite way to make a seasonal switch-up in your room is through fragrance. All the candle and reed-diffuser brands bring out autumn winter ranges, with scents such as pumpkin spice and warm vanilla sugar. The scent is bound to make your room feel extra cosy and make you excited for the colder months ahead! 

There you have it, my guide to upgrading your uni room for autumn/winter 2020. I hope these tips help and inspire you to treat yourself to some new bits and bobs to make your space extra cosy!

I'm Ellie, a third year English student and the Editor-in-Chief at HerCampus Bristol. I love sunshine, long walks and English breakfast tea! I write about all things health and wellness, with a few miscellaneous topics sneaking in here and there.
Her Campus magazine