This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

It’s that time of year again where we cuddle up with blankets and hot chocolate to watch predictable storylines of romance, magic and cheer, feeling smug that we’re not caught in the harsh weather outside (although living in a student house isn’t always so different). Being a bit of a Christmas fanatic myself, I pride myself on having seen a lot of festive films – and I mean a lot. Whilst I’m also quite partial to a cheesy, hallmark, one-watch wonder, there are some films that you just have to bring out year after year for it truly feel like Christmas.

First, I’d like to preface this by naming a couple of honorable mentions that, regrettably, did not make the cut: How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000) and Love Actually (2003). These films are fantastic and if this was a list of 10 would definitely be included. However, in terms of never getting old, they just can’t be ranked higher than the chosen five films below.

So, in no particular order, here are my top 5 Christmas films that never get old.

Little women (2019)

Now, I know that this film was released in 2019 so arguably could never have grown old by 2021, but I think we all agree that the story of Little Women is one that we have been familiar with for quite some time now. Whether through the book or various film and screen adaptations, Little Women has been a holiday staple for over a century. But this 2019 version really reigns supreme. It’s smart, empowering, funny, moving… quite frankly the perfect Christmas watch.

home alone (1990)

Watching this film and wishing you lived in the gorgeous McCallister house is another Christmas time must for me. Home Alone is the perfect background watch for any festive task, be it decorating, wrapping or writing Christmas cards. Although, you’ve got to look up from your chores when the iconic scene of Kevin setting up traps around his house to save himself from the baddies comes on (which never gets less impressive). Filled with slapstick comedy and absolute chaos, it’s no surprise that this is a favourite for many and is watched time and time again.

The holiday (2006)

This is a true modern classic that holds a very special place in my heart. With a fantastic cast, including Cameron Diaz, Jude Law, Kate Winslet and Jack Black, it holds the perfect balance of romance, comedy and festivity that creates the ultimate Christmas feel-good film. It doesn’t just focus on gooey romance; it features all different types of love, from platonic, to family, to that kind of love that is just not good for you. The heartbreakingly cute scene where Graham and Amanda are lying in the most beautiful children’s tent i’ve ever seen is a particular favourite of mine.

miracle on 34th street (1994)

My childhood favourite. I’m starting to think I have a nostalgic bias with this one as I rarely hear anyone talk about it which is a massive shame – following the court trial of Santa Claus is an essential Christmas time task! Perhaps it’s Matilda – I mean, the adorable Mara Wilson – or maybe it’s my inner child loving the magic of a real Father Christmas, but this film is so heart-warming to watch. It is the equivalent of sitting in front of a warm, cosy fireplace with a frostbitten nose after a long day playing in the snow.

it’s a wonderful life (1946)

I couldn’t talk about timeless Christmas films without mentioning this one. Released in 1946, It’s a Wonderful Life is the film that your parents would force you to watch every year and the true definition of ‘never gets old’. A sentimental film with subtle humour where George Bailey gets to see what his community would’ve been like if he hadn’t been born. Even with the slightly gloomy premise, the film is not short of christmas cheer and (spoiler alert) a happy ending is celebrated. I can’t say I ever put it on for myself, but a family screening of this is never time wasted and I would say that it is the classic Christmas film.

As this recommendations list comes to a close, I would like to take the time to apologise for the elephant in the room… Elf (2003). But I can assure you that with enough watches, that film can, in fact, get old.

Jess Hall

Bristol '24

Hi, I’m Jess. I’m a fourth year History and Spanish student at the University of Bristol. Lover of rom-coms, books and Taylor Swift :)