15 Great Books to Read Post-Essay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

If, like me, you’re a student for whom writing essays is a staple part of your university experience, you will understand that it can be hard to find pleasure in reading. So, to help you get that enjoyment back, I’ve compiled a list of fantastic books (complete with blurbs) to read post-essay (or, if you are blessed enough to lead an essay-free life, to just read any time!). 

1. Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World (Haruki Murakami)

“A narrative particle accelerator that zooms between Wild Turkey Whiskey and Bob Dylan, unicorn skulls and voracious librarians, John Coltrane and Lord Jim. 
Science fiction, detective story and post-modern manifesto all rolled into one rip-roaring novel, Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World is the tour de force that expanded Haruki Murakami’s international following. Tracking one man’s descent into the Kafkaesque underworld of contemporary Tokyo, Murakami unites East and West, tragedy and farce, compassion and detachment, slang and philosophy. “

2. The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry (Rachel Joyce) 

“When Harold Fry leaves home one morning to post a letter, with his wife hoovering upstairs, he has no idea that he is about to walk from one end of the country to the other. 
He has no hiking boots or map, let alone a compass, waterproof or mobile phone. 
All he knows is that he must keep walking. 
To save someone else’s life.”

3. The Hundred-Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared (Jonas Jonasson)

“It all starts on the one-hundredth birthday of Allan Karlsson. Sitting quietly in his room in an old people’s home, he is waiting for the party he-never-wanted-anyway to begin. The Mayor is going to be there. The press is going to be there. But, as it turns out, Allan is not… Slowly but surely Allan climbs out of his bedroom window, into the flowerbed (in his slippers) and makes his getaway. And so begins his picaresque and unlikely journey involving criminals, several murders, a suitcase full of cash, and incompetent police.”

4. A Visit from the Goon Squad (Jennifer Egan)

“Bennie is an aging former punk rocker and record executive. Sasha is the passionate, troubled young woman he employs. Here Jennifer Egan brilliantly reveals their pasts, along with the inner lives of a host of other characters whose paths intersect with theirs. With music pulsing on every page, A Visit from the Goon Squad is a startling, exhilarating novel of self-destruction and redemption.”

5. At Swim, Two Boys (Jamie O’Neill)

“Set during the year preceding the Easter Uprising of 1916 — Ireland’s brave but fractured revolt against British rule — At Swim, Two Boysis a tender, tragic love story and a brilliant depiction of people caught in the tide of history.”

6. The Handmaid’s Tale (Margaret Atwood)

“The Republic of Gilead offers Offred only one option: to breed. If she deviates, she will, like all dissenters, be hanged at the wall or sent out to die slowly of radiation sickness. But even a repressive state cannot obliterate desire – neither Offred’s nor that of the two men on which her future hangs. The Handmaid’s Tale is a brilliant and astutely perceived evocation of twenty-first-century America.”

7. The Shipping News (Annie Proulx) 

“Quoyle is a hapless, hopeless hack journalist living and working in New York. When his no-good wife is killed in a spectacular road accident, Quoyle heads for the land of his forefathers – the remotest corner of far-flung Newfoundland. With “the aunt” and his delinquent daughters – Bunny and Sunshine – in tow, Quoyle finds himself part of an unfolding, exhilarating Atlantic drama.”

8. Bliss (Peter Carey)

“For thirty-nine years Harry Joy has been the quintessential good guy. But one morning Harry has a heart attack on his suburban front lawn, and, for the space of nine minutes, he becomes a dead guy. And although he is resuscitated, he will never be the same. For, as Peter Carey makes abundantly clear in this darkly funny novel, death is sometimes a necessary prelude to real life.”

9. Things Fall Apart (Chinua Achebe)

“Okonkwo, driven by blinding ambition, finally overcomes his father’s legacy of shame. Or does he? In the Igbo village of Umuofia at a time when the tribe is intact, the gods are respected, and planting yams is a man’s principal responsibility, Achebe tells,m a man’s story. Like Okonkwo’s life, it is clean, hard and beautiful, but finally painful when the orderly, peaceful village life comes crashing into Christianity.”

10. A Brief History of Seven Killings (Marlon James)

“On 3 December 1976, just weeks before the general election and two days before Bob Marley was to play the Smile Jamaica concert to ease political tensions, seven men from West Kingston stormed his house with machine guns. Marley survived and went on to perform at the free concert. But the next day he left the country and didn’t return for two years.
Inspired by this near-mythic event, A Brief History of Seven Killings takes the form of an imagined oral biography, told by ghosts, witnesses, killers, members of parliament, drug dealers, conmen, beauty queens, FBI and CIA agents, reporters, journalists, and even Keith Richards’ drug dealer. The story traverses strange landscapes and shady characters, as motivations are examined – and questions asked.”

11. Wide Sargasso Sea (Jean Rhys)

“Jean Rhys’s late literary masterpiece, Wide Sargasso Sea, was inspired by Charlotte Bronte’s Jane Eyre, and is set in the lush, beguiling landscape of Jamaica in the 1830s.

Born into an oppressive colonialist society, Creole heiress Antoinette Cosway meets a young Englishman who is drawn to her innocent sensuality and beauty. After their marriage disturbing rumours begin to circulate, poisoning her husband against her. Caught between his demands and her own precarious sense of belonging, Antoinette is driven towards madness.”

12. Under the Net (Iris Murdoch)

“Jake, hack writer and sponger, now penniless flat-hunter, seeks out an old girlfriend, Anna Quentin, and her glamorous actress sister, Sadie. He resumes acquaintance with formidable Hugo, whose ‘philosophy’ he once presumptuously dared to interpret. These meetings involve Jake and his eccentric servant-companion, Finn, in a series of adventures that include the kidnapping of a film-star dog and a political riot in a film-set of ancient Rome. Jake, fascinated, longs to learn Hugo’s secret. Perhaps Hugo’s secret is Hugo himself? Admonished, enlightened, Jake hopes at last to become a real writer.”

13. The God of Small Things (Arundhati Roy)

“The year is 1969. In the state of Kerala, on the southernmost tip of India, fraternal twins Esthappen and Rahel fashion a childhood for themselves in the shade of the wreck that is their family. Their lonely, lovely mother, Ammu, (who loves by night the man her children love by day), fled an abusive marriage to live with their blind grandmother, Mammachi (who plays Handel on her violin), their beloved uncle Chacko (Rhodes scholar, pickle baron, radical Marxist, bottom-pincher), and their enemy, Baby Kochamma (ex-nun and incumbent grandaunt). When Chacko’s English ex-wife brings their daughter for a Christmas visit, the twins learn that things can change in a day, that lives can twist into new, ugly shapes, even cease forever, beside their river…”

14. Their Eyes Were Watching God (Zora Neale Hurston)

“When Janie, at sixteen, is caught kissing shiftless Johnny Taylor, her grandmother swiftly marries her off to an old man with sixty acres. Janie endures two stifling marriages before meeting the man of her dreams, who offers not diamonds, but a packet of flowering seeds…”

15. How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia (Mohsin Hamid)

“The astonishing and riveting tale of a man’s journey from impoverished rural boy to corporate tycoon, it steals its shape from the business self-help books devoured by ambitious youths all over “rising Asia.” The novel follows its nameless hero to the sprawling metropolis where he begins to amass an empire built on that most fluid, and increasingly scarce, of goods: water. Yet his heart remains set on something else: on the pretty girl whose star rises along with his, their paths crossing and recrossing, a lifelong affair sparked and snuffed and sparked again by the forces that careen their fates along.”

(Feautured Image credit: Xplode Magazine) 

Elinor is a third year English student at the University of Bristol. She spends a lot of time reading (less than she should), watching television (the opposite), and performing improvised comedy across the city and beyond! 
Her Campus magazine