This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brighton chapter.

Now that it is December, everyone is excited for Christmas – or are they? There are millions of people who do not celebrate Christmas for various reasons ranging from religious motivations to personal reasons. If you are one of them, fear not. This article will give you some tips on what to do during Christmas if you do not celebrate this festive holiday.

The first and easiest to do on Christmas day is most often overlooked by many. Take advantage of the unusual calm and quiet in busy cities like London and stroll around. Go for a walk and enjoy the solitude. Visit open attractions to avoid the usual crowds. Explore the neighbourhood. Marvel at the decorations and their craftsmanship. 

Take a detour on your walk to visit restaurants or cafes open during Christmas and enjoy the festive food. You might even get a bargain or discounted food. 

Don’t fancy going on a walk? Stay home and have a self-care day. Indulge yourself. Enjoy the break from work and other commitments. Slow down and relax. Read that book you’ve been meaning to read for ages. Crochet the jumper you’ve been putting off. Do whatever strikes your fancy. Get creative and start those projects you’ve been meaning to for a long time. Learn a new skill or try your hand at DIY-ing. 

Go visit your parents, friends, and relatives; or why not invite them over for a fun potluck dinner? If you do not want to host a dinner, dine out at a fancy restaurant – you deserve a treat. 

Head off to a concert or live music event and dance the day away. 

Binge-watch your favourite series or catch up on the latest shows. Invite a friend over and have a movie marathon. You could also head over to a cinema open on Christmas. 

Why not volunteer at a local charity? You will have an incredible feeling of satisfaction and gain invaluable memories which will last for years to come. 

Take part in winter activities like ice skating, snowboarding etc. Another great idea is to build a snowman or create your own sculptures out of snow. Make it into a fun competition by inviting your friends, which could turn into a massive snowball fight.

If you like singing, why not join a local carol service and enjoy yourself? There are plenty of carol services which do not focus specifically on religion.

Even if you do not celebrate Christmas, you could always buy yourself a Christmas present or host a gift exchange with friends and family. 

Use your free time to plan for the new year or make those new year resolutions. If that puts you off, try decluttering your home and getting rid of unwanted bits and pieces. Donate or recycle them. 

Though this might be unimaginable to some of you, if you are a workaholic and enjoy working, you could always work from home. Finish off the work you’ve been putting off. This will help you stay on top of upcoming deadlines. If you are a student and want nothing to do with Christmas, you could spend the day studying or revising. Catch up on everything you’ve missed for a stress-free start to the new year. 

Another popular choice is to head off to a non-Christmassy holiday destination. There are loads of places that do not celebrate Christmas. You could be enjoying a lazy day on the beach or hiking in the mountains. You might learn of exotic cultural celebrations instead of Christmas. Why not give it a go if you are able to afford it? 

Last, but not least, you could always try joining a Christmas party if it strikes your fancy, because let’s be honest, with the commercialisation of Christmas, the marketing is tempting enough to make you want to see what all the hype is about.

Hope you have some new ideas on what to do now, even if you do not celebrate Christmas. Enjoy!

Hello, I am Himaya, an English Literature and Creative Writing student. I come from Sri Lanka, and my interests include reading and writing, and just hoarding books in general.