This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brighton chapter.

Vegans now make up 3% of the global population. The interest and hype over going vegan has increased over the years. Particularly with a new trend for January – Veganuary. Many people choose to go vegan for a month for a multitude of reasons: one of which is to cut down on their consumption of animal products. It is also tied to the concept of new year’s resolutions, that many people use to make themselves into a better person etc, however these habits usually do not last. Now we are in January once again, Veganuary has been trending on the internet, with fast food chains, popular supermarket brands and recipes popping up everywhere.

*It is important to mention that some people go vegan to improve their health due to medical conditions like lactose intolerance, meat and other allergies triggered by animal products. On the flip side, there are some people who simply cannot go vegan for many reasons such as disability, limited food access/food insecurity, finances, allergies, sensory processing needs and much more.*

In the UK, particularly there is a call for more people to go vegan in conjunction with the appeal to minimise food waste. Vegan and free from food products usually last much longer than meat and dairy products. This is beneficial for those who live alone and struggle to use up family sized food shops. Since the raised awareness of food allergies and the introduction of an alternative diet into the mainstream hospitality industry, there are many restaurants including free from options on their menus. Just in the last year, many coffee chains are dropping their non-dairy milk alternative prices to make those who opt for oat, soy etc milks in their drinks pay the same as those who choose to have dairy. The fast-food market has also been expanding. Oowee Vegan, an up-and-coming vegan fast-food chain has been expanding in UK cities since opening in Bristol in 2018. It has a menu varying from chicken, beef, and fish alternatives as well as incredible loaded mac & cheese dishes, delicious desserts, milkshakes, and sides. Their most recent Veganuary campaign shows a dip into Asian cuisine with a Korean inspired menu. I have personally tried a few different items from their options and can agree it is the one of the best compared to other vegan options from fast food competitors. Another top fast food restaurant McDonalds launched their McPlant in January 2022, a plant-based alternative to their popular Big Mac, providing an accessible option to new and regular customers.

Supermarkets have also been introducing free from aisles both in store and online. Aldi have recently introduced vegan frozen options to their selections. Due to the brands low prices, its ideal for students, low-income families and young professionals who want to broaden their food horizons on a budget. Other supermarkets like Asda, Tesco and Morrisons have caught on to the trend and have been introducing alternatives across their stores, from meat substitutes, frozen options, and dairy free desserts. As someone who is lactose intolerant and has been dairy free for over two years as well as a student and has troubling cooking along with time management and motivation, this has made my experience more accessible and budget friendly, since my food lasts longer and is cost effective. The brand Quorn is a god send due to their large bags of frozen Quorn pieces which can be used in many different meals like Thai green curry, pasta bakes, stir frys, wraps and much more. These bags usually last around 8 meals.

So, now we have all these accessible options, I think the question is: will you be taking part in Veganuary in 2024?

Hi! I'm 22 years old and I am studying Politics, Sexuality and Gender at University of Brighton. When I'm not studying, you'll find me hanging with my friends, watching movies and listening to music (especially Taylor Swift!)