This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brighton chapter.

In the month of February, the world looked on as the political climate with Russia and Ukraine reached a new high. On the 22nd of February, Vladimir Putin ordered around 200,000 troops to surround Ukraine’s borders in retaliation to the possibility of Ukraine signing the NATO pact. Ukraine who was once under leadership by the Soviet Union now finds itself at the crossroads of Western democratic ideals and the authoritarian regime of the East, therefore the impact of Ukraine signing NATO was internalised to undermine Russia’s power. On the 24th of February Putin ordered Russian troops to invade Ukraine forcing other world leaders such as Britain, Germany, the US and other European countries to stand with Ukraine and condemn Putin’s choices.

There are many reasons as to why you should care about what is happening in Ukraine right now, one of which is because Putin’s actions massively undermine democracy. Ukraine operates on a democratic peaceful level with good relations with those in Europe, Putin’s invasion sets a presence of anti-democracy as it is fuelled with military force and violence which to those who reside in Russia are adjusted to as Putin has removed political opposition whilst stamping out public dissent. For those who are allies with Russia, this sets a ruthless standard of using unjustified measures of force to ‘set an example’ in comparison to having open communication to settle indifferences. Countries across the world have stepped up to aid Ukraine and show solidarity in the light of democracy, such as the US who have directed $350 million through the Foreign Assistance Act to be designated for Ukraine’s defence. Alongside this, countries within the EU have opened borders for fleeing Ukrainians who are escaping the conflict. For those who are residing in Britain like myself, you may have seen what our country is doing for Ukraine and how you personally can help. Boris Johnson issued sanctions on 5 Russian banks however on the same hand has stopped accepting visa applications of Ukrainians making there no safe or legal route for these individuals to seek asylum, which quite frankly is disgusting. One charity you can donate to is Voices of Children which provide therapy and psychologists to the children impacted by the war, there is also the British Red Cross you can donate to, who are sending supplies to those affected.

One of the biggest reasons why you should care about what is happening in Ukraine right now is because violence has proven to us time and time again throughout history that there is no real winner. There is currently at least 240 civilian casualties and 64 deaths in Ukraine which will only increase the longer this conflict persists… Bloodshed and violence also amplify fear and tension in neighbouring countries to Ukraine due to Putin’s hostility and unpredictable actions many are left wondering whether Russia will invade them next. So far since invading Ukraine, Russian troops have seized control over Chernobyl which has sparked health concerns for those closest to the nuclear plant. This is because with more activity taking place in the exclusion zone, radiation could potentially spread from conflict in the area.

Alongside the devasting impact on innocent civilians’ lives, the world is experiencing an intensity on the current political climate. We are living in a world with nuclear weapons at the disposal of unhinged political leaders who have proven they will do the most to gain what they want. On the 27th of February, Russia and Ukraine entered peace talks in response to Putin’s order on the Russian military to put its deterrent forces on ‘special alert‘ which includes nuclear weapons. Although the use of nuclear weapons would be catastrophic for the world and there would be no overall ‘winner’, the threat is unnerving due to the uncertainty on whether such powerful weapons would be deployed.

We collectively have lived through two historical events, one being the COVID pandemic and now what was once a concept of WW3 happening becoming closer to reality. It is important during these times to show solidarity to those in Ukraine, look into charities that are sending aid to people’s needs, educate your peers on what is currently happening and why they should also care.

milly struthers

Brighton '23

I am a female van traveller with the desire to explore the world and interact with a range of people and engulf myself in new cultures. Reflecting shared female and queer issues across all race and ethnicities within my articles Creating a safe and open space in my writing where individuals can relate or emphasis with what is being written and most importantly feel connected and that their not alone in their experiences.