This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brighton chapter.

As we delve into the final months of 2022, the days grow shorter, the nights grow colder, and the daylight fades quicker. Ir’s not to everyones taste; this can leave us feeling a bit… deflated. The weather, as we know in the UK,  doesn’t always meet our winter ideals of the perfect day with the winter sun beaming down on us, beside a slight chill to our noses. So, what can we do when boredom strikes, and we are feeling a bit low? 

Well, I have the perfect top 10 autumn reads or watches for you, whether you prefer that seasonal rom com, a tear inducing love story, a twisting mystery narrative, or a comedy to lighten your spirits. 

So, get cosy under your blanket, grab yourself a hot chocolate, turn on your fairy lights, light a candle and snuggle down. 

TOP 5 WATCHES:

1. Normal People

Released on the BBC, in 2020, this beautifully written love story, between the two Irish opposites, Marianne Sheridan and Connell Waldron, follows them as they grow individually and together, maybe apart, through their teenage years from year 13 in College, to graduating University. Overcoming, and struggling through many issues and complications, leading to heartbreak and loneliness, but picking each other up and always finding one another again. This series will pull at your heartstrings. If you are into romance, but maybe with a few unexpected turns, this one is for you, fulfilling all your emotional desires. 

2. The Nativity

If you are wanting a more seasonal themed narrative, maybe you’re wanting to feel the early joy of the Christmas spirit, or you just want to be picked up by a wash of happiness, then you may like this one. Following a primary school class from Coventry, and their hilarious teachers. One of which is trying to earn his love back from his ex partner and the other…well, I think you have to watch to understand his character. Let’s just say he is, not your usual teaching assistant. 

They complete the difficult task of putting together a Nativity play, like no other before, overcoming challenges, and performing to someone special. You will not fail to laugh throughout this music filled film, of young children really experiencing the Christmas joy. 

3. Gilmore Girls

If you are looking for a comedy-drama series, which really catches the Autumn spirit, this Netflix series from the 2000s is going to be a favourite. The show follows the precious relationship between mother Lorelai Gilmore and daughter Rory Gilmore, in American town, Stars Hollow. These two get up to much mischief, involving family, friends, business and school. You will love these two and never get bored of their silly ideas, and watching them try to achieve them, but you can throw these episodes on in the background whilst you complete any chores or autumn activities you have on your list or watch and enjoy every detail. 

4. LOVE ACTUALLY 

Maybe you are getting excited for Christmas but not looking for full-force, Christmas cheese yet? Well, Love Actually, a comedy drama romance film, flips between eight different couples who are all trying to achieve their dream love lives all over the world. Starring Hugh Grant, Colin Firth, Kiera Knightly and Emma Thompson. You are in for a treat with this one. Surrounded by the buzz in the lead up to Christmas, and comedic storylines, you won’t fail to smile. 

5. TWILIGHT 

This heartwarming storyline based around the fictional, mysterious character Edward Cullen and the beautiful Bella Swan, conveys romance, sadness, action, mystery and more, and the best thing is, there’s 5 of these films to fill all your needs!

My personal favourite, and may be soon to be yours, you will adore the characters and be routing for a certain side, are you team Werewolf or team Vampire? Have a movie day and watch them all, I dare you, you won’t regret it. 

Sounds Good Season 2 GIF by Gilmore Girls  - Find & Share on GIPHY
Warner Bros, Gilmore Girls via Giphy!

TOP 5 READS: 

1. Conversations With Friends by Sally Rooney 

This novel, by Sally Rooney, depicts multiple lives of young adults and students, going through dramatic changes and having to make certain choices, relaying intense love stories and hardships. The aspiring writer Frances, and her best friend Bobbi, previous lovers, perform spoken word and impress observer Melissa. Taken into her care and guidance, Melissa’s husband Nick meets Frances, maybe a love will spark? Or is an enemy made? But this book will keep your eyes locked on the page for a while.

2. Harry Potter by J.K Rowling 

If you are wanting to fly away into a fantastical world, and go on some crazy adventures, whilst being on the edge of your seat connecting with wizards and witches, then this one is for you. Follow Harry Potter on his mission to defeat Lord Voldemort, a dark wizard who is working to become immortal. They will take time to read, trust me but every one will be worth it, and maybe, then have a super movie day and binge all the films in order! 

3.  EVERYTHING I KNOW ABOUT LOVE by Dolly Alderton 

This bestseller, all about love, growing up and living through loss, friendships and pretty much anything life can throw at us, can teach all of us a thing or two. Maybe you struggle to believe you are enough, and I hope it’s not, but if that is true, then this one is for you. Filled with many humorous accounts and stories which Dolly has experienced, ‘Everything I Know About Love’ will keep you laughing and realising, maybe we aren’t all so different from one another, after all. 

4.  IT ENDS WITH US, by Colleen Hoover 

I’m sure if you are on TikTok, or Instagram, you have heard about this romance novel, as it seems to have taken over the world of reading. Protagonist Lily, moves away and meets Ryle, a stubborn but sensitive man. But when a man from Lily’s past reappears, will this newly made connection be lost? If you want a romantic story, but with a deeper personal touch, this one will be just right for you. 

5.  FIX THE SYSTEM, NOT THE WOMEN by Laura Bates 

Perhaps you are wanting to be educated and in this age of feminism and sexism, maybe learning about this topic is more important than we realise. Feminism writer and activist Laura Bates, articulately demonstrates the ideas which exist in our world of misogyny. This book involves hard-hitting facts, recounts of ‘isolated incidents’ which use violence against women, the truth of sexual violence, media distortion and more. I think this book is crucial and essential to saving our society for women. 

So which will you choose to enjoy first? 

poppy williams

Brighton '26

Hey! I am 20 years old and currently studying Fashion Communications with Business Studies at Brighton University. I take interests in fashion, dancing, music and writing pieces using my experiences to help others. I think connection and community is vital to living a happy, full life, and I believe that writing and creating a community like this one is so necessary to stay 'in the loop' and to feel part of something. Throughout my writing pieces I will produce poetry, give advice, fashion reviews and more. I hope you enjoy <3