Theme Queen: Top 10 Films For Unhinged Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brighton chapter.

Theme Queen is Her Campus Brighton’s latest new column written by the editor-in-chief, Neave GlennonEach article will explore the themes of different pieces of literature and cinema, as well as weekly reviews on upcoming titles/releases.

Last Monday, I published the first-ever Theme Queen article, listing the top 10 books for unhinged women. This week, I will be taking a look at how the trope is used in cinema, as well as giving yet another top 10 list of films you can then go and enjoy.

As mentioned in my previous article, the ‘unhinged woman’ trope initially created a harmful stereotype of women. The film industry has been incredibly male-dominated since its creation, and for years, men have had the chance to embrace their dark side through all forms of media to wide critical acclaim. For a long time, fictional women who were created under this trope tended to fail in their plans to represent that men are the more ‘dominant’ and ‘successful’ gender. No matter how unhinged or maniacal the woman was, they were continuously portrayed as more irrational and acted more on emotion than logic. In more recent years, we have seen the rise of the ‘good for her’ film. A new sub-genre of horror/thriller that embraces feminist ideology in its portrayal of the ‘unhinged woman’ and has allowed women to place themself in a dark, fictional abyss that was closed off to them before.

Unlike last weeks article in which all recommendations were written by women, few of the films mentioned on this list were written and directed by men. Whilst it could be argued that these films were not created to intentionally be ‘feminist’, I feel as though their inadvertently progressive plot tropes is what makes them so compelling. Additionally, like last week, some of these films feature heavy trigger warnings so be sure to research each one before giving them a watch.

10. Girl, interrupted

Whilst its tenth on this list, Girl, Interrupted (1999) is easily one of the most recognisable films on this list. However, its inclusion was tough to chew due to debates surrounding its portrayal of mental illness amongst feminist theorists. Based on a true story, teenager Susanna Kaysen is placed in Claymore mental institution following a suicide attempt. During her time at the institution, she befriends various women suffering from conditions such as sociopathy, OCD, schizophrenia and anorexia.

At the time of its release, at its best, it was reshaping the way the world looked at mental health through a feminist lens. With almost, if not all, male characters (specifically Dr Potts) representing consequences of patriarchal ideology in the 1960s and how this affected women at the time, it allowed us to examine how brushed over women’s mental health was and still is. At its worst, however, it was considered to add nothing to feminist theory and instead make a mockery of women’s mental health. Similar to criticisms of Sylvia Plath’s The Bell Jar, critics found the racism and ‘whining of middle-class white women’ to be insulting. Nevertheless, Girl, Interrupted is still an important insight into women’s mental health in the 1960s and should still be praised as one of the first forms of media to try and give women a spotlight when discussing such a sensitive topic.

Rent it on Prime Video.

Angelina Jolie GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
Columbia Pictures, Film, Girl, Interrupted via Giphy!

9. Ingrid goes west

Following her role as the moody and loveable April Ludgate in Parks and Recreation, actress Aubrey Plaza started to show the world how far her acting capabilities stretch. In Ingrid Goes West, Plaza plays Ingrid Thorburn, a young lady who takes the word ‘outcast’ to a whole new level. Following the shocking collapse of her previous ‘friendship’, Ingrid becomes obsessed with social media influencer Taylor (Elizabeth Olsen). Ingrid does what we all would, obviously, and moves to Los Angeles to form a friendship with Taylor. However, her obsession goes too far and ends up having drastic consequences.

Ingrid Goes West is an enjoyable dark comedy holding a huge amount of relevancy in examining how individuals engage with social media. In an age where we have access to watching the dreamy and aesthetically pleasing lives of others, I think it’s fair to say we have all tried to change our own to match their standards. But what would happen if we were to take it too far? What happens when this inspiration becomes nothing but a full-blown drive to become something that you’re not? Ingrid Goes West explores this obsession in a maniacal and eerily relatable way, making us root for the ‘crazy lady’ rather than be repulsed by her.

Rent it on Prime Video.

Aubrey Plaza Tinder GIF by Ingrid Goes West - Find & Share on GIPHY
Neon, Film, Ingrid Goes West via Giphy!

8. i care a lot

Rosamund Pike is one of the best actresses of this generation: fact. Her ability to go from playing roles such as the sweet and dainty Jane in Pride and Prejudice (2005) to absolute mega-twat Marla Grayson in I Care A Lot is nothing short of admirable. The film follows legal guardian Marla Grayson, a con woman who seizes the assets of the elderly and places them in care homes. However, Maria’s greed gets the better of her when she cons a woman involved with a powerful gang leader.

This film doesn’t try and make you sympathise with the lead at all, but you can’t help but respect her level of power and self-assurance. It is a film that quite literally cons you itself, leading you to believe that Marla is a ‘girlboss’ in her own right, a title that before was empowering to hold. However, recent political discourse has contested the ‘girlboss’ narrative. The film itself is heavily rooted in neoliberal feminist theory and its consequences. With Marla basing many of her motivations on the injustices men have handed her, we see that she has become what she despises herself; despite the team of strong women behind her. It is a strong representation of how capitalism can hinder feminist ideology, as we see the exploitative nature of Marla’s action in the name of money and power. Serving as a fascinating insight into the worst parts of the human psyche, it also opens the room for discourse on the delusion of capitalism.

Watch it on Prime Video.

I Care Rosamund Pike GIF by Golden Globes - Find & Share on GIPHY
NBC, Television, Golden Globes via Giphy!

7. the love witch

The Love Witch is the perfect film for any witchy individuals reading this article or those who love the aesthetics of the 60s. Despite the vintage aesthetic of the film, the plot is set in modern times and follows Elaine Parks, a witch who uses love magic to make men fall in love with her. However, these spells ultimately have disastrous consequences that Elaine eventually has to face.

Whilst the film is a slow-burner and might not be everyone’s taste, this film is a fantastic investigation into how men view women. With a majority of movies focusing on the male gaze and the idea of the ‘perfect’ woman, The Love Witch sets out to show that women too have their fantasies and preferences for their romantic partners, with Elaine set on finding the most masculine male. However, regardless of the plot, the film is still worth the watch to celebrate the immense level of dedication put into it by director Anna Biller. In fact, Biller actually has ten credits on this film which she also wrote and edited, taking her almost seven years to complete.

Rent it on Prime Video.

Movie GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
Oscilloscope, Film, The Love Witch via Giphy!

6. midsommar

I am sure many of you reading this list expected to see Midsommar on here. Described as a ‘break-up movie’, the film follows a young woman named Dani who goes on a trip to Sweden with her avoidant boyfriend to their friend’s commune. However, once they arrive at the destination, they are thrown into the stuff of nightmares and soon realise they are dealing with a Pagan cult.

Set almost entirely during the daytime, this film really changed the game for horror by showing that there is no need to focus on dark corners and haunted houses to make the audience squirm. A film hated by the same men who praised Joker, you will walk away feeling a deranged sense of catharsis for the lead woman with an ending that is sure to stick with you for a very long time.

Watch it on Netflix.

Dance Flowers GIF by A24 - Find & Share on GIPHY
A24, Film, Midsommar via Giphy!

5. raw

Raw is a French/Dutch horror film written and directed by Julia Ducournau. The film follows a young woman called Justine who is starting her studies at the same Veterinary school as her sister, Alexia. An active vegetarian, Justine’s appetite begins to change when she is forced to eat meat during a university hazing ritual and ultimately develops a taste for human flesh.

An inventive approach to cannibalism that serves as a metaphor for coming-of-age and female sexual awakenings, Raw is one of the most unsettling delightful films you will ever watch. It allows women to reclaim power over their desires, elevating pointless gore and giving it a new and powerful perspective.

Rent it on Prime Video.

Raw Movie GIF by FocusWorld - Find & Share on GIPHY
Focus World, Film, Raw via Giphy!

4. The witch

The Witch is one of my favourite examples of feminist cinema because it didn’t try to be and ultimately became a fan-favourite for all of the unhinged women out there. Following the hysteria of witchcraft in the 16th century, the film follows a family torn apart by witchcraft and paranoia following the disappearance of their newborn son.

As someone interested in the history of witchcraft and the Salem witch trials, this film really hit the spot to me in a way where other examples have not, and I feel is the most accurate representation of what this hysteria looked like at the time. As mentioned previously, director Robert Eggers never intended for this film to have feminist undertones; however, this is simply impossible to do a movie on this topic when witch trials were wholly rooted in sexism. With this film, we get to see a woman reclaim her power and experience independence from traditions that held her back in a time when feminist theory had not yet been developed.

Rent it on Prime Video.

The Witch Horror GIF by A24 - Find & Share on GIPHY
A24, Film, The Witch via Giphy!

3. Shirley

Is it a bit of a cop-out to mention Shirley Jackson in both of my lists? Maybe. But there was no way that I wasn’t going to. For those of you who aren’t book nerds or for those of you who are, this is the perfect (largely fictional) biopic that celebrates the queen of the unhinged. Based on the 2014 novel of the same name by Susan Scarf, it follows Shirley Jackson in 1951 as she begins writing her first novel, Hangsaman.

Not only were Shirley Jackson works deliciously unhinged, but her own morbid and witty personality is something that has always been heavily documented. There is something comforting in being a writer and seeing one of the greats go through mental and physical distress, struggling to complete her work and then witnessing her motivation begin to surge. Jackson was a woman who, at the time, completely broke a lot of the gender roles that were expected of her. Despite being a stay-at-home wife, she was the primary breadwinner, and this film shows her power struggles within her home and society as a whole and how she persevered despite this. Full of feminist and queer undertones, Shirley is a must-watch for anyone interested in the queen of the unhinged.

Watch it on Netflix.

Odessa Young Shirley GIF by Madman Films - Find & Share on GIPHY
Neon, FIlm, Shirley via Giphy!

2. Audition

Major trigger warnings for this film, so please research before watching at your own risk. This gory masterpiece is well respected by those who love the ‘unhinged’, and its shocking nature is why it deserves second place on this list. The film is about a man who accepts his friend’s offer of allowing girls to ‘audition’ to be his next wife. Ultimately, he sets his sites on innocent and emotional Asami and pursues her as his next wife. However, he soon learns that Asami is not the woman he believed her to be.

Gory, insane and at times, unwatchable; Audition is a film that serves as an exhilarating release of the objectifying expectations of women and allows us to feel and view our anger in one of the most unhinged ways possible. Not only is J-Horror some of the best out there (Ju-On: The Grudge, Ring, etc.), but it also shows some of the most violence with a considerable amount of emotional depth to it. Where Hollywood films throw out torture-porn in the name of sensationalism, Audition is a film that allows women to live out their darkest thoughts and portrays their frustration with toxic masculinity, all while rewriting our expectations of a horror film.

Watch it on Prime Video.

Takashi Miike Horror GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre - Find & Share on GIPHY
Omega Project, Film, Audition via Giphy!

1. gone girl

Those who know me personally may be shocked at this addition on the list. I’ve personally always found Gone Girl and the character of Amy Dunne to be a product of internalised misogyny; however, there’s no debating how unhinged this film is. I’m not going to spoil too much, as the plot twist is one of the greatest of all time, but this movie is perfect for those who love a good murder mystery with a shock twist. Following a young man Nick Dunne who comes home to his wife missing, we watch as he becomes complicit in her disappearance, all whilst a greater, more sinister narrative is unravelling…

Despite my opinions on this film, it would be foolish to berate how well-written it is, which is definitely due to having Gillian Flynn (author of the book) pen the script. Additionally, David Fincher is the God of crime movies, and you may have seen his previous films, Seven, Zodiac or his Netflix show, Mindhunter. Honestly, a riveting story of female rage and a portrayal of how heinous we could be; this is undoubtedly the film for those looking to feel well and genuinely insane.

Watch it on Prime Video.

Awkward Gone Girl GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment - Find & Share on GIPHY
20th Century Fox, Film, Gone Girl via Giphy!
Thank you so much to those of you who have read this seriees and provided me with feedback and praise. these two articles were so much fun to write, and i hope they have helped you to add more stuff to your shelves or watchlist! DON’T FORGET, YOU CAN LEAVE ME SUGGESTIONS FOR MY COLUMN HERE!

upcoming theme queen articles

REVIEWS: DEAD RELATIVES (NOVEL), DEVIL HOUSE (NOVEL), X (MOVIE)

FROM FINAL GIRL TO GOOD FOR HER: THE DEVELOPMENT OF WOMEN IN HORROR

how hollywood has tarnished mary shelley

Hey, my name is Neave and I am a final-year Media Studies student at the University of Brighton. I currently serve as campus correspondent/editor-in-chief for Her Campus Brighton and in my spare time, I love to read, write and watch movies which is why I started my column: Theme Queen! Outside of my hobbies, I am a keen social activist, and when I graduate I want to write content that is progressive and stands for impactful social change. Thank you so much for reading my articles, any bit of support is greatly appreciated xo