Wellness

So, You Want To Get Into Crystal Healing?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brighton chapter.

If you’ve been spending lockdown scrolling through Tik Tok – or any social media in general – you’ve probably become familiar with crystals. Many individuals in the spiritual community use crystals to promote a positive mood, transform your aura, release negativity, and block it from entering your life. However, while the vast array of Tik Tok videos involving crystals can tempt you into going to your local crystal shop and stocking up on them all, it’s really important to educate yourself on each crystal’s individual properties. You won’t need to own every single crystal, so it’s important to know which ones are right for you. In this article, I will be going over a few of my favourite beginner crystals, what they do and how they can help to transform your life.

Selenite

It wouldn’t be right to start my list without mentioning Selenite first. Selenite is known for being one of the most sacred crystals throughout history due to its pure nature and connection to the angel realms. With its name coming from the Greek Goddess of the moon, Selene, it’s perfect for instilling deep peace within the individual who owns it. Selenite is associated with the crown chakra, and you can achieve the best results with it through meditation and allowing any negative thoughts, memories and mental blocks to fade away.  

Amethyst

The second crystal on my list is Amethyst, which isn’t just one of my favourite beginner crystals, but one that I keep on me at all times. Amethyst is a powerful healing crystal and is primarily used to help relieve any stress or sadness. It can also help ease the pain of grief, provide you with a source of support and is even believed to reduce the effect of headaches. Overall, the crystal enables you to focus your mind, making it a perfect companion for any meditation session.

Citrine

Another crystal that I keep on me at all times is Citrine, and the best thing about it is that it’s perfect for beginners. Citrine is a pale yellow or transparent type of Quartz, and its name is derived from the French word citron, which means lemon. Citrine is a fantastic crystal for a university student, as it promotes happiness, prosperity and creativity. The crystal itself attracts prosperity and success and can also help to boost your self-confidence. I love to keep my Citrine cleansed and on my desk whenever I have a huge assignment due or any work that I need to complete.

Malachite

A few readers who are experienced with crystals may disagree with me featuring Malachite on this list. Still, given the massive amount of misinformation and promotion regarding Moldavite on social media, I felt it was important to mention this crystal as a suitable alternative. If you’ve heard of Moldavite but are uncomfortable with its intense, transformative properties, then Malachite is the crystal for you. Malachite is my all-time favourite crystal for transitions and transformations, and it is significantly easier to get a hold of than Moldavite. The best thing about it, though? Malachite literally is a protection stone, so while it may bring transitions into your life, none will negatively harm you.

Clear Quartz

By far the most popular of all healing crystals, Clear Quartz is a must-have for all beginners. Clear Quartz is believed to be the most powerful healing stone of them all because it effectively works on any condition. It is also a great stone to use for manifesting or during meditation, as the stone protects you from negative energies and allows you to set any intention in your life to help connect you to your higher self.

Rose Quartz

Rose Quartz is my all-time favourite crystal, and it’s fantastic for beginners. Known as the universal stone of love, it helps to encourage unconditional love within yourself and towards others. I personally own a few pieces of raw Rose Quartz and even have a pair of Rose Quartz earrings that I wear every day to release any negativity I may be feeling and replace it with loving vibes instead. The stone itself helps to encourage self-forgiveness, inner acceptance and helps to boost your self worth, so while you may purchase it to help attract love into your life, it’s better to utilise it to help you on your self-love journey.

Now that I’ve given you a list of beginner crystals you can add to your wish list, you may be wondering, how do I get them to work once I purchase them? From cleansing them, charging them, and setting intentions, there are many ways you can ensure that your crystals work effectively in the ways you need them to. Luckily, Aricka Croxton at Her Campus Emerson has an article explaining how to activate your crystals which you can read HERE.

Additionally, here are a few crystal stores you can check out if you’re a Brighton local or looking to make a trip to our sunny seafront in the future:

Crystals

Two Feathers

Gaia’s Magick

The Crystal Therapy Shop

Hey, my name is Neave and I am a final-year Media Studies student at the University of Brighton. I currently serve as campus correspondent/editor-in-chief for Her Campus Brighton and in my spare time, I love to read, write and watch movies which is why I started my column: Theme Queen! Outside of my hobbies, I am a keen social activist, and when I graduate I want to write content that is progressive and stands for impactful social change. Thank you so much for reading my articles, any bit of support is greatly appreciated xo