This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brighton chapter.

Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a type of depression that people may experience during the different seasons or times of year. These episodes of depression, (or low feeling of exhaustion/loss) can interfere with a persons daily life. The affects which follow include disturbed sleep patterns, eating habits and energy levels. These negative impacts may, at times, feel like a grey cloud looming above, hard to run away from. 

Well, don’t run away from this one, as it may drastically change your life, or maybe just make you feel a little less alone whilst you are in these feelings. I’m guessing you or someone you know feels this way as you have read this far. 

Causes of SAD

Causes of SAD, can vary from issues depending on the changing season or season you are entering. Such as, the daylight lessening in Winter, the change in temperature and weather, disrupted body clocks as time goes backwards or forwards, as well as similar ideas associated with the causes of depression. 

When the darker months come around, the sun hibernates and the daylight become shorter, I know I personally struggle to adjust to this, what seems like an overnight change. To be honest I don’t let it be real until we are in the depth of November. October, is denial. 

Less light is the biggest change for me to accept. Some people need more light than others, and well, I’m definitely ‘some people’. Light effects us more than we think. When light hits your eye, the messages sent to our brain impacts our mood, temperature, sleep, appetite, activity and sex drive. So, as you can imagine, for some of us the less light we have, the lower drive we have for any of these. 

Also, I don’t know if any of you can relate, but when its winter, I always seem to be more tired and fatigued than usual. Waking up to the grey-tinted, navy sky, I never want to leave my bed, the motivation leaves my body October 1st, I swear. 

Well, when its dark some people produce lower levels of serotonin, and increased levels of melatonin (a hormone produced from your brain which encourages your body to sleep). Therefore, the sadness may creep in and be in touch with you earlier than expected, and earlier than in the summer months with the longer light. 

I want to reiterate, that these feelings are completely normal, SAD’s affects more than 1 in 20 people across the UK, so you are not experiencing this alone. With this, I want to help you, of how to not necessary overcome, but manage through SAD and the heavy, daunting feelings which are tied to it. 

Helpful Tips to Deal With It 

Maybe we should all just move to Alaska, where there is gorgeous 24hour daylight. Or, we could all go to Spain? There, we could constantly be bathing in the glorious golden sun, the girls can girl in our floral summer dresses, and we can all eat fresh fruit and ice cream all day…

A girl can dream. 

Now, you may think that ‘going for a walk’, or ‘journaling’ sounds stupid, but, we are human. These little, simple things, gestures to yourself, they help. 

When I feel like I am constantly living in darkness, an early morning walk in the sunlight or even immersed in the sunrise makes me feel a whole lot more alive. Feeling that smooth, freshness brush across your face, awakening yourself, letting the light in. It gives your day a great start. 

Now, if night time has dawned on you, and you are well and truly inside for the evening. Light some candles, have a warm shower, let your hair down, put on your cosiest pyjamas and have a light stretch, yoga maybe? I find moving my body can help me relax, and make me feel like I have done something kind to myself. My favourite time to do this is at night, just before bed when my room is candlelit, my record player is spinning and my skincare is done. 

Comforts. 

My recently discovered thing is having a bingeing of my childhood comfort films, or my general favourite films. It allows my brain to relax, as I know the narrative. I advise a happy film which you can enjoy. My personal number one is Bridget Jones’ Baby, always. 

Another way I like to brighten my gloomy winter moods, is to decorate for Christmas early. This may sound ridiculous to you, but trust me,  the fairy lights, the sparkling tinsel, and the joy that it brings just gives me a boost to lift myself up. It’s a warmth. An occasion to look forwards to. A happiness we all can live in. 

Talking is powerful. It is the thing which allows us to know each other, confide in each other, tell each other, direct each other, help one another. It is important to use it. Talk to people; your parents, your friends’, a doctor. Speak to a person you trust, or if you cannot speak, write. 

For me, I can’t talk to people without breaking down in tears, so I write instead. I love writing all my worries and troubles, leaving it to reflect back on in a few months to come, seeing how much I have grown. Perhaps you like to rip it apart, set it a light, that okay too. 

Next time you are feeling low. This may be in summer, or likely in winter, allow yourself to feel. Cry a little, let it out. Don’t bottle up your own feelings, have a cry. Then lift yourself back up, refresh yourself, pamper a little, and try something new. A hobby, something you love. Or indulge into those comfort films, breathe in that sunlight.

If you need help or want to contact someone about any issues discussed above : https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/seasonal-affective-disorder-sad/useful-contacts/ 

poppy williams

Brighton '26

Hey! I am 20 years old and currently studying Fashion Communications with Business Studies at Brighton University. I take interests in fashion, dancing, music and writing pieces using my experiences to help others. I think connection and community is vital to living a happy, full life, and I believe that writing and creating a community like this one is so necessary to stay 'in the loop' and to feel part of something. Throughout my writing pieces I will produce poetry, give advice, fashion reviews and more. I hope you enjoy <3