This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brighton chapter.

18 year old Martha Bolt shares her top songs from January 2024

January was a cold and rainy month for everyone in Brighton and my playlist was filled with all sorts of banging tunes. From heartbreak to filled with love, if you are looking for recommendations for this month, you can take a look at this list and listen to music like Marty. 

Martin Luke Brown – Love is a black hole !  

Martin Luke Brown is a 29-year-old artist based in London. Known for his recent album, “Damn look at the view” (2023), Brown music is filled with love, childhood, and hope. Love is a black hole ! is a tribute to true love, dedicated to risking it all for someone special. This song is filled acoustic guitar, beautiful lyrics and a voice that sounds like melted butter. The perfect song for a crisp sunny cold walk in January.  

Blur – Coffee and TV 

Coffee and TV came from Blur’s 1999 album “13” and is written and sung by the band’s guitarist Graham Coxon, rather than Blur’s front man Dameon Albarn. The song is a story about Coxon’s issues with alcoholism, however the songs tune and vibe blend into an indie rock classic which leaves the listener with a spring in their step. I was addicted to this song in January, and I am sure it will be making an appearance in my Spotify wrapped.  

Massive Attack, Elizabeth Fraser – Teardrop 

Trip hop group Massive Attack wrote the music to Teardrop, while former lead singer of Cocteau Twins, Elizabeth Fraser wrote the lyrics and sung on the track. The song was released on the 1998 album “Mezzanine” and Madonna was originally meant to sing on the track however the band decided that Fraser was more fit to the role due to her ethereal voice. Many believe the song is a tribute of grief to Jeff Buckley, her previous lover who she dated between 1994 and 1995 with Buckley dying later in 1997.  

Billie Eilish – my future  

I was late to the party on Billie Eilish and only started enjoying her music last year after the Barbie movie came out. My Future became my anthem when coming to university as it is all about loving yourself and letting go and really helped me while adapting to living away from my parents and all my friends. My Future was originally released as a single in 2020 before featuring on her album “Happier than Ever” in 2021. Eilish is one of the fastest growing and youngest pop artists of our generation, coming into the spotlight in 2015 for her track “Ocean Eyes” and winning her first grammy in 2020 for the album “WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO” and she became the youngest artist to win a grammy at age 18.  

Nude – Radiohead 

From there 2007 album “In Rainbows” the song “Nude” which is about vulnerability during you know what… The title is derived from an earlier version in which the chorus included the line “What do you look like nude”. The track was originally recorded in 1997 during the band’s creation of the album “OK Computer”. While Thom Yorke was originally unhappy with how the song came out, it did make debut in 1990 during a solo performance in Japan. The song is floaty and beautiful, sending you into another dimension with its lyrics and melody – it has and always will be an all-time favourite of mine.

Martha Bolt

Brighton '26

Brighton Journalism Student with a passion for poetry