Style > Fashion

last-minute halloween costumes for the lazy girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brighton chapter.

This is for all the lazy girls as Halloween has come around again and if you’re like me who always leave it to the very last minute to think of a costume idea then i’ve got your back. I’ve scoured Pinterest and TikTok to find some of the best outfits that not every other girl at the party will be wearing, hopefully. So here are 6 halloween costumes that are super cheap, you probably already have in your wardrobe and aren’t too basic.

1.carrie

If you’ve seen Carrie (1976) then you’ll know this one isn’t all glam. Carrie is a sensitive teen who wins prom queen, but is soon covered in pigs blood by bully’s from her school. For this costume you will need a pink or white dress, if you don’t already have one ask your friends, try a charity shop or Primark will have a cheap one for you. You’ll also need a cute little tiara and some fake blood (Check out this outfit inspo if you get stuck). Both of these you’ll be able to find in any fancy dress shop or the halloween section of most supermarkets. You can get yourself dolled up, curl your hair and cover yourself in as much fake blood as you wish, try not to get it on the dress though!

2. THE MATRIX

The Wachowski’s 1999 film The Matrix follows a computer programmer that discovers that his reality is actually a simulation, and rebels against the system to find the truth. The movie features a stylish cast dressed head to toe in black leather. I did this costume last year and it was so easy and I got so many compliments and followed look. This one is super cool and perfect if you don’t want something too girly. Leather has been trending the past few years so grab some leather trousers or a leather jacket and pair with an all black outfit and some thin black sunnies. If you want to go all out you could grab a toy gun to pull it all together and maybe practice your karate skills ;).

3. SECRET AGENT

Think Will Smith in Men In Black. This costume is also really cool so is a good option if you want to go with something different. Firstly you’ll need a black blazer, these are a staple in the autumn, but if you don’t already have one, these again will be easy to find in most charity shops. A black tie and white shirt is a must but don’t worry if you don’t have these, just steal some from your Dad/Brother/Boyfriend they’ll never know. Make the look by pairing with a black mini skirt and boots and you’re ready for action!

4. ELLE WOODS

Reece Witherspoon’s iconic girl-boss character Elle Woods from Legally Blonde is a perfect option if you want to go for a cute girly look. This is actually my costume this year so my personal favourite. You’ll need to hunt through your closet to find the brightest pink dress you can find, some chic pink sunglasses and pink big fluffy pen to match. If you want to be really extra go to your nearest toy shop and get a tiny dog toy to put in your handbag so you can have your own little Bruiser for the night!

Films Nillies GIF by GoPlay - Find & Share on GIPHY
20th Century Fox, Legally Blonde via Giphy!

5. A WITCH

This look is perfect if you want to take the more chic route, and you care less about being scary and more about looking your best. Although this one might sound boring, the queen Kendall Jenner herself proved you can still be best dressed. Every girl has a Little Black Dress in her closet so this is your starting point, and a witches hat will be easy to find in any shop at this time of year. Make the look even more stylish by adding a pair of long black gloves.

6. KIM POSSIBLE

What’s the sitch? If you’re a natural red head or have decided to join the copper hair trend this autumn then this one’s for you. Disney’s iconic Kim Possible is such an easy costume as you definitely already have everything you need. A pair of green cargos are necessary and have been a huge trend all year. If you don’t already have a pair then go and grab some as I guarantee you’ll get your wear out of them! Pair these with a long sleeve black crop top and some black boots and you’ll be identical to Kim.

I hope some of these ideas inspire you! Have fun with your costume and enjoy the halloween holiday!

Mollie Pratt

Brighton '23

Hi, I'm Mollie a final year media student living in Brighton. My writing will be all things fashion, beauty and lifestyle. My page will range from reviews, styling and a spotlight on the social issues surrounding these industries. <3