This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brighton chapter.

How do those fashion girlies do it? 

It’s a challenge trying to keep yourself protected and hidden away from this gloomy, January weather, but its even harder to also look cute whilst doing it. If you are a person who wants to feel confident in what you’re wearing alongside keeping your health in top condition (which should be your priority here!) then look no further, as I think I have a few ways to improve your outfit choices during this hard time. 

1. Layering

Recently growing in popularity amongst the fashion world, layering can consist of any already owned garments, which just makes this 10x better. Sustainable and no money needing to be spent! Meaning you can treat yourself to a hot chocolate whilst you strut your stuff in this effortlessly cool outfit. There are many ways you can layer clothing. 

Some simpler, more lowkey suggestions to start with may be wearing a plain, long-sleeved top underneath a short sleeved or maybe, a knitted sweater underneath some denim dungarees, you really can use this long sleeve top or sweater hack in many different ways and its super easy. 

Another great way is the double coat trend, maybe try a blazer over a hoodie, and pair it with some platform trainers or boots, you could try a long trench coat over your already planned outfit to make a casual but warm look. This versatile look can be used in all situation, casual and smart. 

Now, if you are feeling brave and want to stand out and look awesome, give the trousers under skirt/dress a go! This street-chic style has been circulating in the past few months, and whenever I see someone in the street rocking this warm, layering trick I am in awe! 

If you want more ideas, tiktok is a great place for quick, simple layering hacks, and the videos are endless. Maybe you could create one yourself and have fun with it. 

2. Accessories

Next up, we have accessories! 

Accessories can be an amazing way to spice up your outfit but also keep you warm inside and the opportunities here are never-ending. 

Scarves, hats, gloves, leg warmers, ear muffs, socks, tights, arm warmers, shrugs… the list goes on. 

What’s great about accessories is you can find any of these garments for very low prices in charity shops, pretty much anywhere, so pop in to your nearest one and I bet you will find a few hidden gems.  Once again, sustainable and affordable!

Starting with your legs, why not add a funky pair of socks on-top of your leggings and under your trainers, but try and colour co-ordinate it with something you are wearing just to tie it in slightly. Or, tights; patterned tights are growing at the moment and underneath a skirt alongside boots and leg warmers, and your cool socks, you can never go wrong, this super cute look also keeps you really warm, and remember who’s going to know if you are wearing two pairs together? 

Next, scarves. I don’t know about you, but I love scarves in winter, they can make any outfit go from a boring, everyday look to a perfect winters day, cosy outfit. The styles could vary, so you have a wide range of choice here too, knitted, crochet, cashmere and wool are the ones I’d suggest in winter, they’re the best to keep you nice and warm. 

Also, you may prefer a long, wide scarf which I like to wrap around my shoulders like a blanket sometimes or perhaps a thin, tasseled scarf which can wrap around your neck nicely to keep the warmth in. 

Any colour, any material and can be worn in any way you like, as well as being the perfect body warmer, I think scarves may be my ultimate winter accessory. 

Lastly, arm warmers or fingerless gloves are really coming into fashion recently, and you will pretty much find these anywhere. I have a few pairs myself, and I really enjoy them. Like socks for your arms. 

Furthermore, shrugs can be amazing for adding an interesting dynamic to your look. High-neck, knitted is my favourite. 

Any way you decide to stay looking cute this winter, make sure you wrap up warm and always prioritise your health. At the end of the day, if I saw someone walking down the street with their pyjamas, fluffy socks and coat on. I’d definitely be jealous. 

Just experiment, play cool and keep warm! 

All my love my fashionistas <3 

poppy williams

Brighton '26

Hey! I am 20 years old and currently studying Fashion Communications with Business Studies at Brighton University. I take interests in fashion, dancing, music and writing pieces using my experiences to help others. I think connection and community is vital to living a happy, full life, and I believe that writing and creating a community like this one is so necessary to stay 'in the loop' and to feel part of something. Throughout my writing pieces I will produce poetry, give advice, fashion reviews and more. I hope you enjoy <3