This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brighton chapter.

Acne is a very common problem amongst many teens and adults. In fact, research suggests that over 9.4 percent of the people around the world have acne. Many of us have grappled with acne, trying medicines to home remedies to anything you might think works, in efforts to rid your skin of it. But do we really know what we should or should not do when it comes to acne? Home remedies and the wrong advice have messed up many faces around the world. Which is why it is necessary to ensure that you are making informed choices in your 20s to avoid those regrets. Read this article to know how to fight your acne.

What is Acne?

Skin is made up of pores, small openings that release oil and sweat. When these pores get plugged by oil, dead skin cells, bacteria and dirt, they transform into a pimple. Acne is a skin condition where you get multiple pimples recurrently. Pimples are often one of the symptoms of acne. While they may not be a serious health issue, they can be painful, especially in severe cases, and can even leave scars on your face. Other than face, they may also develop on your neck, back, shoulders, chest and buttocks. Acne is a common occurrence in most teenagers and young adults and is a matter of concern as it can damage your confidence and lower your self-esteem.

What are the Different Types of Acne?

The most common skin lesions are blackheads and whiteheads, together known as comedones. Blackheads or open comedones, as the name suggests open at the top. Against popular notion, blackheads are not dark at the top due to dirt accumulated in them, but due to its contact with the oxygen in the air. Whiteheads are closed comedones that remain under the skin forming closed bumps, and are usually flesh-coloured. Other lesions that are inflammatory in nature are pustules, papules, nodules and cysts. Pustules are small, red and inflamed lesions filled with pus, especially at the tips. Papules are small, red and raised lesions that are a result of inflamed or infected hair follicles. Solid and often painful growths under your skin are called nodules, while cysts are larger, solid and painful lesions beneath your skin with pus in them.

What Causes Acne?

“Aside from hormonal acne, we also see occupational acne. These are skin lesions developed due to exposure to industrial compounds, usually as part of an occupation”

Dr Saliny Harikumar

Dr Saliny Harikumar also talks about acne that develop as a reaction to certain medicines, also known as acneiform eruptions. With the increased usage of masks during the epidemic, a new form of acne known as maskne is also well known to us. Acne occurs when:

• your pores over produce oil
  • your pores get plugged with dead skin cells
  • bacteria accumulate in your pores

Dr Harikumar adds that from the dietary perspect, consumption of milk and milk products can lead to acne breakouts, as indicated by various studies.

Tips for Prevention/Treatment

• Do not pop your pimples as it could lead to scarring. Further removal of these scars would require procedures like micro needling and lasers
  • Take measures to avoid moist or sweaty environments for your skin
  • Follow necessary dietary measures like reducing or avoiding milk, its by-products and iodine rich food
  • Avoid hot water and steaming, instead use cold water to clean yourself
  • Avoid home remedies
  • Dabbing cotton pads with Teatree oil on solid and large acne for 2-3 days can be helpful
  • Do not wear the same mask for long hours or the next day
  • Do not use cosmetic products to treat acne
  • Check with your doctor for a PCOD/PCOS diagnosis, as persistent acne is one of the symptoms
  • Consult with your dermatologist as they can assess and relieve your concerns, and provide medication depending on the requirement
I'm a postgraduate Journalism student at the University of Brighton. I have a curious mind to satisfy and I find it interesting to write on a variety of topics. I'm aspiring to be a journalist in the near future.