Life > Experiences

Half Marathon Training : How To Train, or at least How I did…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brighton chapter.

On the 17th of November, I ran my first 5k, I felt elated, to have reached my first milestone. I ran a 14km the other day, and now I’m striving for more. Next is a 20km. Well, next is actually a 21.9km, the Brighton half marathon which I am running in 6 days time… 

Let me take you back, to when I first decided to put myself up to this task, which at the time wasn’t real in my mind, it was a long-shot, a far away goal to worry about nearer the time. What I forgot is you cannot wake up one day and run 20km, when you’ve never ran before. 

Nevertheless, during the time I have had training, I have learnt a lot, it’s been great, and now I can do nothing else than hope and pray that on Sunday the 25th of February, my legs don’t give up on me, and my mind doesn’t either.

So drawing from my experience, as a first time runner, here are things to consider when attempting too run a marathon, or perhaps to consider before you enter, pay £45 and have no option but to run a half-marathon because now your mums neighbour and childhood best friends mum, has donated £20 to your chosen charity… (thank you Kate, for the motivation.)

1. You need to be willing to run, often. Training doesn’t come easy, and you will need time, dedication, the right footwear and leggings which don’t fall down after just stepping outside your house. 
  2. Live somewhere that never rains, (ie. not England) or be brave enough to run in the rain, wind and whatever else the heavens like to throw at us brits. 
  3. Sign up to the right marathon. You may laugh, but just double check. I signed up to the full Brighton marathon which is in April, and only realised when I got the letter in the post preparing me for 4 months time… when I would’ve already ran the marathon, so was not much use to me. I also had to pay the entry fee, twice. Well, at least it all goes to charity. But if you are a university student who struggles to pay rent, eat, and would like to sometimes get the bus when its torrentially raining, don’t make this mistake. 
  4. Be really irritating and share your giving page to fundraise every day. Also, Facebook is your best friend. I got many donations at the beginning, and then they kind of fell off, mainly because I wasn’t annoying enough and stopped posting, asking people to donate to a determined uni girl who is running and really pushing her body for the sake of others. (Just tactics). As soon as my mum shared it on Facebook, wow. The donations came flooding in. 
  5. It isn’t going to be easy. I thought I’d do a couple runs and the reach a 10km in no time. In reality, it took me 6 weeks to build up to a 10km. Now, I’ve never been a complete couch potato, as I go the gym often and dance every week, and always have. But running is a whole other realm. It’s a whole other level of fitness and endurance. As much as it is hard, it is so worth it, and you can do it. Anyone can run… if you want to enough. 
  6. Stretch before and after every run. I know runners who don’t do this, but I recommend it, stretching post-run will relax your muscles and you will feel better the next morning for it, as well as slowing down your heart rate, and improving your flexibility. The pre stretching should be more dynamic and to warm up, preventing injury, so it is vital. 
  7. Fuel your body. Hydration is key. Before a run I like to eat carbs, a bowl of pasta the hour before or a porridge is my go to. Usually if I’ve eaten a while before, I’ll grab a banana or protein bar. I am no dietitian or nutritionist, this is just what works for me! After my runs you will find me downing a litre of water, I don’t recommend as it usually doesn’t go down right, maybe sips would be more beneficial but definitely always hydrate after a run, no matter what. 

Some general, less specific things I’d also suggest, is to pace yourself when running, I began by sprinting as soon as I’d begin a run, and it never ended well, or in fact, it would just end. So ensure to save your energy if you are running long-distance, you will thank yourself in the long run… did you get it? ‘In the long run’ running pun.

Anyways, Sweaty Betty do great running gear, it is more expensive than my usual Primark, gym wear purchases, but it is worth it. I have some leggings which don’t fall down! I’m telling the truth, they stay up and are comfortable, which I know for women, is quite a miracle to find. As well as a top which is very supportive, and its pink (always a bonus). 

Footwear is very, very, very crucial, apparently. I don’t know a lot, as I am a beginner myself, but after confiding in my runner friends, hokas and brooks are top tier. I have brooks, and they are great, I highly recommend, furthermore the ones I own are eco-friendly, so even better. 

Running is so rewarding and there are many mental and physical benefits you can get from it, including a stronger willpower and mind. It is all a mental game, long distance running.

So if you been wanting to find a new hobby, to challenge yourself, get in nature more, join a community, then go ahead and give it a try. Try not to care what others think, no one is looking at you.

We are all focusing on ourselves. 

poppy williams

Brighton '26

Hey! I am 20 years old and currently studying Fashion Communications with Business Studies at Brighton University. I take interests in fashion, dancing, music and writing pieces using my experiences to help others. I think connection and community is vital to living a happy, full life, and I believe that writing and creating a community like this one is so necessary to stay 'in the loop' and to feel part of something. Throughout my writing pieces I will produce poetry, give advice, fashion reviews and more. I hope you enjoy <3