This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brighton chapter.

2022 has been an interesting year in the realm of beauty and there has been a real focus on skincare, haircare and the whole ‘clean girl aesthetic’. We have seen a lot of natural no makeup looks, glossy skin and minimal eye shadow. I have a feeling this may about to change in 2023 and I think we’re going to be seeing the return of full glam. I’ve collected a list all of my predictions of what I believe is going to be majorly trending in the beauty world next year.

Cool tones

For as long as I can remember, warm brown tones have been the go to for every eye shadow look, but I feel that something cooler may be on it’s way. The days of bronzed eye looks are over, and they are making way for a muted 90s palette. I think we are going to be seeing a lot more blues, lavenders and greys trending, and these type of looks are already being rocked by the Kardashian-Jenner family. I’m excited to see how this new trend will bring a more grungy vibe to the mainstream beauty world.

pimple patCHES

Pimple patches have grown extremely popular over the past year, with brands like starface coming out with super-cute ones that almost feel like an accessory. I think in 2023, we will see the normalisation of wearing pimple patches in public. I think it’s time to end the stigma surrounding acne and embrace into our everyday, there is no need to hide it on a daily basis and it is much healthier to not have to cover it up all the time. Pimple patches are a god send and can literally make your spots go away within one day, and when beauty brands make them so cute, it would be rude to not wear them out for a day around town.

SOFT MATTE SKIN

A big trend this year was glossy, glass-like skin, but I predict that there will be a complete 180 on this trend. The western world has already taken big inspiration from the Korean beauty circle when it comes to more natural make-up looks, and I believe this will continue by incorporating the soft matte skin. This will still be a fairly natural look done with minimal makeup, however will have a blurred, flawless effect. I can imagine it will be less common to use a large amount of highlighter, and the soft look will be achieved with blurring primers, skin tints and brightening powders.

metallic lids

Metallics are already a big trend in the fashion world, so it is no surprise that it will also be super popular in makeup. Statement silver glitters and pigments in particular have already been creeping up during the party season, and I can see it being really popular throughout the rest of next year. I can see it mostly being paired with a bold smokey eye and a nude lip, reinforcing the 90s grunge vibes we expect to see in the new year.

bright GRAPHIC EYESHADOW

In 2022, the eyeshadow trends were pretty non-existent, however it’s now time to bring out all of your old palettes with the super bright colours you swore you would never use. With the strong influence that music festivals have on popular culture, we can expect to see festival style bright eye looks all throughout the spring and summertime. This year in the beauty scene we have all been deprived of colour, so graphic bold eyeshadow making a comeback is just what we needed. Think bright block colours, graphic liner and neon waterlines – the 80s called and they like the sound of it.

Natural lashes

This year we’ve really seen a rise in self-care and lash serums have been extremely popular. I think next year we are going to see false lashes less and less, and see more people embracing their natural lashes. Lash curlers are going to be trending and I feel more people will be more interested in a good mascara than big false lashes. We are already seeing this being done by influencers and it relates to the graphic eyeshadow trend, as natural lashes will make those beautiful colours pop even more.

As the year comes to an end, I’m excited to see where the beauty world takes us next year and hopefully we get to some of these predictions go mainstream throughout 2023.

Mollie Pratt

Brighton '23

Hi, I'm Mollie a final year media student living in Brighton. My writing will be all things fashion, beauty and lifestyle. My page will range from reviews, styling and a spotlight on the social issues surrounding these industries. <3