When You Are Constantly Asked the Same Question

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

Peace and quiet, that’s all I want. I don’t need to constantly hear the question, ‘Are you okay?’. Yes, I am okay. I am fine, just because I am super quiet doesn’t mean something is wrong it just means I want to be left alone to my own devices. Don’t keep talking to me especially when I have headphones in.

Peace and quiet is something everyone craves after a while. It’s a chance to de-stress from everything that has brought you to the worst kinds of low in your emotional state. For me I am an introvert and I love having peace and quiet but when I try to do homework and read, and I get in my introvert mode I don’t need to hear, ‘Are you okay?’ or ‘What did I do?’. The answer is I’m fine and its nothing to do with you. When it comes to needing peace and quiet I like burying myself in my work or reading my headphones in at top volume.

And for some when any portion of that time of relaxation is disrupted prepare for them to snap on you. This has happened to a lot of introverts that I know here on Brenau’s campus, but the worst part of it is when you get up and walk away from the people who disrupted that precious time you immediately here your notifications alert you to a text once again asking what was wrong. My response to which will always and forever be, “I’m fine. Please leave me alone.”

Being constantly asked the same question every time you walk by a friend who should know you have times when you just close and shut down your emotions should know by the end of the school year that you are trying and holding on by a thread to get through that last few weeks of school. Music can only do so much and when it isn’t enough just let the person shut down and find some peace of mind. Trust me it would save you from an emotional beating.

My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!