When People Don’t Pull Their Weight In Group Projects

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

It is inevitable that we will all wind up in a group project at one point or another during school in the project. We also know that sometimes certain members do not pull their weight in these projects. When this happens, there is plenty of stress going on throughout the group, and the atmosphere is anything but desirable. Unfortunately, there is never really anything that can be done about this issue. All you can really do is wait it out and see if they are going to start pulling their weight.

I love how group projects turn into a single person project the majority of the time. There is always one person who carries the group, and the rest just follow behind like baby ducks following their mother around so they don’t get lost. Nobody should have to carry the weight of a huge project that was specifically designed as a group project for a reason. 

I mean, group projects literally have the word “group” in it. Why does this have to turn into one of those individual projects that people already can’t stand? A group project should have the work even distributed such as one person worry about one topic, another person does another and the others do their own topics. That makes perfect sense right? Yeah, but apparently it makes too much sense because people still think it means that one person does the most work and the rest just follow.

No! That is not how a group project works! Group projects are always a mommy duck followed by baby ducks. This is not how life works. This is not how group projects work. I don’t see why everyone can’t just pull their weight and have their portions done on time instead of finding out 2 minutes before it is actually due that they still did not do their part and don’t plan on doing it. I know. Fantastic.

I just wish we could live in a perfect world where people actually pulled their weight and pulled their weight on time in group projects. Is that really too much to ask for from this society?

Avery Dill

Brenau '21

I am a Mass Communications major and Music minor sophomore/junior at Brenau University. I am also the Senior Editor for the HC Brenau chapter,  an HC Campus Trendsetter, HC Chapter Advisor, and an HC Campus Expansion Assistant.
Junior, Mass Communication major with a concentration in Entertainment Management. Campus Corespondent and Campus Trendsetter for HC Brenau.