What Is It Like To Do An Art CAPSTONE?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

I have talked about being an art major before but now this time I am talking as a graduating art major. Here at Brenau, most majors have a CAPSTONE project that you have to do in order to graduate along with passing your classes. For the studio art program, seniors have to put on their own exhibition, and we have to create the works too. The stress alone keeps us up at night sketching out every last detail that we can so that everything is just how we want it to be.

For me, the prep in getting everything ready to create just the very first art piece plus assignments from other classes, clubs, and two jobs, my stress level has reached levels that it should not be at, but despite that, doing prep to showcase my talent and what I learned here at Brenau using a subject I adore makes it all worthwhile. In truth, even with my stress level, I can think of nothing else I would rather be doing other than sleeping. Though I think that is every college student’s dream to get at least one night of full rest. But even on the weeks that I go nights without sleeping, I know that my show will be at its best with the amount of prep and time that I put into it.

Even though it seems like a lot of work to put on an exhibition of your own work, it is also quite satisfying to see once the whole thing is put together in its entirety. Being an art major is something I am glad I became as it continues to let me grow in my talent and skills.

Junior, Mass Communication major with a concentration in Entertainment Management. Campus Corespondent and Campus Trendsetter for HC Brenau.