This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

Valentine’s Day was just in our midst and though many spent the day drowning in the adoration of their significant other, there were several people that chose to forgo expressing unconditional love to the one that deserves it the most: themselves.Self-love is one of the most important and overlooked priorities of them all and it can be cultivated in solitude or among friends. And, as always, the best way to start off a celebration is with food.

Everyone can enjoy food, no matter what tastes you prefer, and that’s what makes it, in my opinion, the one aspect of life where splurging is recommended. Whether savory, sweet, or a mix, I am certain you can find a dish online for you to try out. Nothing is as great as taking the time to make yourself a meal and savoring the hardwork through mouthwatering dishes – and even if it fails in the end, you can laugh about it while searching for the nearest delivery service. Because if food preparation isn’t your forte or you are without adequate resources, then ordering in is always a great alternative. And if staying inside isn’t enough, you can dress up and head out to lunch/dinner with a few friends. There are several options to choose from, all (hopefully) resulting in a delicious meal and time well spent.

Not only can food be used to eat, but it is many times involved in DIY masks. From chocolate to avocados, there is certain to be an ingredient or two within reasonable distance for you to start a mask. Whether it be for your hair, body, or face is up to you, but this is a perfect way to treat yourself to some much-deserved TLC. And if masks are not exactly what you’re looking for, there are various online instructions for hand-made scrubs, bath bombs, or creams to try out.

If either idea sounds far too involved for you, there is always the option of curling into bed with your favorite snack and watching a film or show. This may seem trivial, but many film fanatics and episode enthusiasts have to forgo such hobbies due to the slew of work that college, jobs, and clubs bring. This Valentine’s Day is the time in which you should put off the schoolwork (for just a few hours), silence your phone, and enjoy yourself. Pop on a horror movie, sit down to a romcom, settle in for a bit of Sense8, or align your schedule with what’s on the TV guide; whatever direction you take, make the effort and reward yourself for all that you do. 

Now, all those suggestions may be enough for you to enjoy yourself, but they may also already be incorporated in your life. So if you have an item you’ve been eyeing and you can spare the cash this week, treat yourself to a little shopping excursion. It may be a small item, such as a bottle of perfume, or something bigger, like that life-sized teddy bear you’re yearning for, but it’s something to treat yourself with. Whether the excuse is “I don’t really need this” or “Someone else should be buying me this”, it’s time to throw those inadequate justifications in the trash: buy yourself some flowers, pick up a chocolate heart, fit on that ring you want. Granted the last suggestion was a bit exaggerated, but it’s merely my way of getting the point across. 

Valentine’s Day is used to celebrate those you love and though they are deserving of adoration, you are as well. Whether it’s accomplished by giving yourself compliments in the mirror or treating yourself to some Godiva, the point is to acknowledge the great qualities you have, the positive decisions you are making, and the capacity for success you own. 

My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!