So What If My Hair IS Purple, I’m The Same Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

People dye their hair all the time, so what’s the big deal if I decide to dye my hair purple instead of making it more blonde or brown? Yes, I am a natural blonde, but I need a change. Besides, I look better with the purple hair in my opinion. My eyes pop more and I don’t look ill.

Not to mention, I don’t need a natural hair color to work in certain businesses. Take a hair salon. I currently work at a local salon, and everyone loves my purple hair. It’s different from the rest of the staff which are blondes and brunettes, and I can get it touched up just about whenever I want.

Plus, clients and random strangers always compliment my hair. I love seeing their reactions when they find out that I am a natural blonde. So, why should I be getting backlash from former friends saying that I’m a different person?

Newsflash! I haven’t changed! I’m still the same old Avery you’ve always known whether that was for a month or years before I dyed it. I’m still super sweet regardless I don’t take all that trouble anymore. I may stand my ground a little more, but there comes a time when we have to stand our ground more than before.

I shouldn’t have to go back to my blonde locks for you to be okay with my hair color. Besides, I still have all those funny blonde moments as before that kept things interesting when times got boring, so what’s the problem? I don’t see the issue, and people really need to end the stigma that people with unnatural hair colors are not the same as someone with the typical blonde or brown hair.

Avery Dill

Brenau '21

I am a Mass Communications major and Music minor sophomore/junior at Brenau University. I am also the Senior Editor for the HC Brenau chapter,  an HC Campus Trendsetter, HC Chapter Advisor, and an HC Campus Expansion Assistant.
Junior, Mass Communication major with a concentration in Entertainment Management. Campus Corespondent and Campus Trendsetter for HC Brenau.