Seven Things To Do At a Super Bowl Party When You Don’t Watch Football

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

As we all know (or maybe you didn’t), Super Bowl 50 is approaching. February 7th, marks the big day, and the game will more than likely be the big buzz on Twitter, Instagram, and any other social media source you can imagine. But what if you don’t watch football? How do you fit in with the ill-tempered and bandwagon fans (those are people who just pick a team because they are successful) over-crowding every topic of conversation? I have tips for those who don’t watch football so you can survive this year, and not end up sucked into watching the game with a crowd of people and being the only one out of place.

1.      Pick a Side: You HAVE to pick a team even you feel as if no one is going to notice you cheering for both…..oh,they will notice.

2.      Fake the Funk: Once you pick a team you have to find another person who sides with them. That person is now your best friend. Pretend to listen and agree with everything they say about the team or a call being made.

3.      When You Move I Move: When your now best friend jumps, you jump. When they scream, you scream. When they yell at the TV so loud the neighbors outside complain like the people on the field can actually hear them, you guessed it, you do the same.

4.      If You Become Too Disinterested: Take regular snack breaks not loading up on too many snacks so you can always go back and get more. Plus it will be a great scapegoat when someone wants to talk about football during commercial breaks.

5.      Don’t Be Too Much Of a Social Butterfly: Cut down as much communication as possible. Because when conversations start, that is when questions start—particularly about football (which you don’t really know anything about, I might add).

6.      Yes, Phones Are Allowed: I know you crave to find something else interesting to do when your brain is numb from the hollering. Social media surfing can be down in short increments. But, I must warn you, good luck finding something other than the game as a trending topic.

7.      Pay Just A Little Attention: As much as you could care less about the game still be aware of whose winning and who the winner is at the end of the game. If you think no one is going to ask you about who won after the game, you’re wrong.

With these seven tips you should be able to survive your night. At first opportunity after the game, get out of there and run! These tips will save you until next year or until you can Google what really went on in the game. 

My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!