A Quick Rant to Myself about College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

“Go to college,” they say.

“Make friends for a lifetime,” they say.

“College is nothing like high school,” they say.

I’m not sure about my other high school friends, but the first few weeks of my first semester in college have been hell. I am confused about my schedule, where to sit when I eat, who to befriend and who not. I don’t know if I should I get involved extra-curricular wise. There’s also a lot of drama.

Coming to a college out of state, my main focus was to start a whole new life for myself. I wanted to get away from everything. I wanted a new start, to meet new people, and do something I’ve never done before. I wanted to basically be free and be myself in a new area. Obstacles make themselves present all the time in my life, and college was an experience where I did not want to have obstacles. The first few weeks were rough. They still are.

My main focus right now is finding myself and and figuring out how to manage all this without being overwhelmed. I want to be able to find myself in both a positive and happy way. My first choice was to give up, go home, and just leave it alone. I’ve grown stronger, a little bit wiser, and that was to make sure I kept going no matter what. College isn’t a playground or a place to goof around. College is to make myself proud, get my degree, and put it to use.

My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!