Presidential Debate: Conversation not Confrontation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

Brenau University’s theme for the 2016-17 school year is “Conversation, Not Conversation”. With all of the media outrage directed towards tragic incidents such as the slaughtering of black lives and the tension that has come with this year, the theme is highly appropriate and important to implement. It is exactly what it states – instead of rushing into a situation head-on and causing further commotion, we must approach the issues by conversing civilly and making compromises.

This year is the year of the presidential election, and it seems to be the most unsettling one yet. It is also said to be one of the most important elections for the upcoming generation.There are many strong feelings about this election that have provoked unrest throughout the country. The concerning matter is, how are the candidates going to handle the issues that are tearing the nation apart? That is, if they can keep from publicly ripping each other apart first. Many of us would rather butt heads with each other and stir up an uproar about the best way to handle the nation’s problems and who would be the better candidate to lead the effort simply because talking it out just doesn’t seem to work. How can we discuss matters peacefuly and look to seek guidance from our candidates when they can’t even set their own differences aside without getting into a heated argument? 

In all honesty, the debate was a joke. Saturday Night Live doesn’t even need to make a parody; it was like a comedy sketch, but it was actually reality. It was like watching two siblings fight on national TV. There were no consistent answers that remotely addressed real solutions to the problems that plague our nation, just a bunch of low blows and dragging arguments. It was hard to take it seriously since the candidates were using generic talking points and trying to promote their own political agendas. This demonstrates that people can always confront someone to get a point across, but not a point that settles problems the way ideas that arise from genuine conversations do. Word will always hold power in the way you use them, but substance is essential. Otherwise, you’re simply making a lot of noise with no real effect.

We need to settle the riots in the streets and the slanging of words that pierce others like bullets in the back of the fallen. These horrific events cause fear that leads to the demand of confrontation, mainly because it seems like it’s you against the world. Politics in 2016 has let go of reason and conversation during a time we all need it the most. That’s why Brenau’s theme is so essential to progress in our society, starting from the generation who will lead the path to a brighter future. We are in dire need of putting aside our differences and coming together as a functional society, and “Conversation, Not Conversation” is a beautiful beginning.

My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!