This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

Paganism is a religion that predates Christianity, but it is also many religions all at once as many can fall under its umbrella. The main three divisions that many may know about are Wicca, Druidry, and Asatru. Contrary to people’s belief when someone says they are pagan, it does not mean they do not believe in the god of your religion. Paganism is considered to be a broad term for anyone involved in any religious act, practice, or ceremony that is not Christian. Those who are pagan are not without religion but there is also the history of paganism and witchcraft being one and the same when they really are not. Paganism is ancient and originated in the Neolithic (Stone Age) Era while Wicca began in the Twentieth Century.

I decided to speak about paganism because I became pagan two years ago. When I made the decision to become pagan many that knew believed that I was without a god but that is, in fact, not true. Most pagans worship many gods and have no main religious text and those are the biggest differences from Christianity. It seems, at least to me, that those who believe Pagainism is bad may be the caused by the fact they don’t know what it is and what it means. Paganism has changed over time and now modern paganism, which is also known as neo-paganism celebrates the Earth, living creatures, nature, and so on. Most modern-day pagans believe in more than one god, while others are atheistic. Either way, Paganism is a religion like any other with its own teachings and own ways of doing things. Paganism is a personal experience and is not defined in one way it is something that fits the person but one thing remains the same from what I have noticed and that is nature is always involved.