No ‘Whoopis’ About the Upcoming Oscars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

As the Oscars are come around, people get into their excited moods to hear the nominees. Once the nominees were released, quite a few people had a lot to say about how “white” the Oscars are. As we know, there are several African American actors, actresses and writers who are surpassed despite their excellent performances in movies. Jada Pinkett Smith and Spike Lee have voiced their opinions about the second year in row where all 20 acting nominees are white. Both have reportedly said that they will not be attending the Oscars this year.

Pinkett Smith made a post on her Facebook expressing her feelings, “The Academy has the right to acknowledge whoever they choose, to invite whoever they choose,” the post said, “Now I think it’s our responsibility to make the change. Maybe it is time we pull back our resources and we put them back into our communities, into our programs, and we make programs for ourselves that acknowledge us in ways that we see fit, that are just as good as the so-called mainstream. We are a dignified people and we are powerful — let’s not forget it,” she continues. “So let’s let the Academy do them with all grace and love and let’s do us differently” (Zap2it).

We must stand in our power.

Posted by Jada Pinkett Smith on Monday, January 18, 2016

Spike Lee also expressed his thoughts on boycotting the Oscars in an Instagram post with a picture of Martin Luther King Jr. quoting the historical figure. The post reads: Dr. King Said “There Comes A Time When One Must Take A Position That Is Neither Safe, Nor Politic, Nor Popular But He Must Take It Because Conscience Tells Him It’s Right”. For Too Many Years When The Oscars Nominations Are Revealed, My Office Phone Rings Off The Hook With The Media Asking Me My Opinion About The Lack Of African-Americans And This Year Was No Different. For Once, (Maybe) I Would Like The Media To Ask All The White Nominees And Studio Heads How They Feel About Another All White Ballot (Zap2it).

Among Lee and Pinkett Smith, others have recently come forth to discuss the lack of diversity in the Oscars. Whoopi Goldberg discussed the topic during “The View” stating that is an issue she is very angry about, but doesn’t believe boycotting the Oscars is the solution. Goldberg repeatedly said that a boycott wouldn’t solve anything, but not supporting the movies and affecting sales where companies need the African American population to make money. By hitting them in their pockets, we will definitely get their attention. From Goldberg’s mouth, “You want to boycott something? Don’t go see the movies that don’t have your representation. That’s the boycott you want” (Zap2it).

Lupita Nyong’o also decided to share her thoughts on Instagram. She speaks about the unconscious prejudice and changing the standard of what we call art, saying, “I stand with my peers who are calling for change in expanding the stories that are told and recognition of the people who tell them” (Zap2it).

Jada Pinkett Smith, Spike Lee, George Clooney, David Oyelowo​, Idris Elba, Tyler Perry and others have agreed on the unfairness and lack of diversity that is awarded in Hollywood. The stars are fed up and say that more people should speak up and say their opinion to make a change. The only way there could be a change is if the African American population sticks together.  It is a wonder of how many people will begin to speak up following these other stars, and who will boycott the Oscars like Lee and Pinkett Smith? Time will tell as we approach the 88th Academy Awards, which airs February 28 on ABC.

My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!