free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

My Summer Odyssey Journey Is An Experience I Will Never Forget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

Everyone has some form of summer experience they will never forget. For me? That was when I decided to start writing for Odyssey. At first, there was no chance at me ever writing for such a renowned publication. I was too shy to even apply for a community at the beginning of the summer. I know. It is completely crazy since I write and edit for two different publications at Brenau. Why was I so nervous to apply for the Aspiring Journalism Professionals Community on Odyssey? I honestly have no idea, but this article is not about how I was so nervous and worried about applying. It is about my story and my experience so far with my community.

At the start of summer, I got into my first relationship after one year of being single. While I was with this particular guy, I began to break out of my shell and comfort zone. After just over a month of being together, he blindsided me and broke my heart. I had no motivation to do anything, but my current roommate snapped me out of that funk and told me that I had to do something with my life. There was no reason for me to sit around my house sulking for the rest of the summer because of some guy.

I took her words into consideration. She was right, after all. Nobody should just sit around pouting all summer over a guy. If a guy feels the need to blindside you and break up out of nowhere, he is not worth your time.

Anyway, that was when I thought back to a friend of mine from high school who used to write for her university’s Odyssey community and about how much I had been wanting to write for Odyssey. Because of this, I took a swing and went and applied for the Aspiring Journalism Professionals Community.

To my surprise, I was accepted into the community two days later. I was not expecting such a quick response, but when I received my acceptance email, I was ecstatic. I have been writing for them every week since my acceptance in July, and I have not looked back since. A few weeks later, I was accepted as a Social Media Director. In just a few weeks, I have grown much more as a writer, and I look forward to the rest of my journey with such an inspiring community on Odyssey.

Avery Dill

Brenau '21

I am a Mass Communications major and Music minor sophomore/junior at Brenau University. I am also the Senior Editor for the HC Brenau chapter,  an HC Campus Trendsetter, HC Chapter Advisor, and an HC Campus Expansion Assistant.
Junior, Mass Communication major with a concentration in Entertainment Management. Campus Corespondent and Campus Trendsetter for HC Brenau.