My Future of Medicine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

At the age of three years old, I knew I wanted to become a doctor. I always had the urge to help others around me, whether I am helping my great-grandmother take her medicine or volunteering on the weekend at health clinics. I knew that this was my God-given gift!

My great-grandmother has been the biggest inspiration on my pathway of medicine. Her whole life she has battled many illnesses such as hypertension, strokes, and kidney failure. Shortly after her kidney transplant, her doctor discovered that she had Parkinson’s disease, diminishing her ability to talk, move, and even eat. She spent many months in the hospital due to the complications from Parkinson’s disease. As she laid in the hospital bed unable to move, her body was slowly deteriorating under so much stress and pain. Her last hospital visit before her death was on Christmas day when she was rushed to the hospital. She spent another month in the hospital before going into hospice care. Weeks later she passed away.  I was distraught, she fought for so long; who knew that this disease would be the one to end her life. Her battle inspired me to continue my path of medicine no matter the hardships that I have and will endure.

In February 2018, I attended Augusta Medical College of Georgia’s Igniting the Dream Conference.  This conference was geared towards inspiring doctors, giving them the process and steps of applying to medical school while also engaging in medical labs. My mother and I drove two hours from my home in Covington, Georgia to Augusta, Georgia. I was nervous I did not know what to expect considering that other inspiring doctors where coming from many other universities. In the opening session, they explained the process of applying to medical school and improving your application. During that time, I met many other students from other universities and we shared what type of physician we wanted to become. After the opening session we participated in many lab simulations such as watching a dummy give birth, suturing, and emergency room investigational studies. I also had the chance to meet current medical students. They shared their experiences of how to cope with stress in medical school and that, in the end, the stress will all be worth it.

Attending this conference inspired me even more to become a physician. There are a lot of inspiring doctors, but there is room for every female and male to win in medicine. There will always be a need for doctors and it is apparent that the future generation of medicine is about to change the game! I know that I cannot bring back and save the life of my great-grandmother, but I can save someone like her.

Junior, Mass Communication major with a concentration in Entertainment Management. Campus Corespondent and Campus Trendsetter for HC Brenau.