Men? Here? At Brenau? Meet the Rowers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

We all know the beautiful Brenau is an all-women’s college full of beautiful women striving to get a degree. Most are stagnant with the same routine of going to class then returning to their dorm rooms, sorority houses and even commute to their off campus homes. Day by day seeing the same women: female roommates, female classmates, and female teachers. It gets very monotonous. Until, we finally return from the holiday break; walk into the cafeteria and everywhere you turn there is nothing but boys, boys and more boys. The rowers from University of Virginia come every year to practice in Lake Lanier because of the cold winter freezing their lake.

The boys flood the cafeteria devouring everything in sight. Most Brenau women are not excited about the usually long lines they have to wait in to get their food in the cafe but on the plus side their are quite a few lookers to gaze at while you wait. The rowers do give us some positivity at the university. They attend the women’s basketball games to support the lady tigers. The boys enter the gym shirtless with their chests painted bringing noise from yells and scream with them. As you can imagine, them attending a NCAA D1 school gives them a lot of practice cheering on their school in the student section. The boys stand up the entire game and cheer for the girls though they don’t know any of them. It is quite and atmosphere.

Although they make it difficult to eat in a timely manner, they are usually friendly, and they bring excitement to the school. This year brought fewer rowers than normal but still a large amount to put pressure on the cooks. I personally love when the rowers come to living up the cafeteria a little more plus being a member of the basketball team they really make us excited to play in front of them. The game they attend is my favorite game of the season every time!

My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!