I went to the Inauguration and This is What Happened.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

By the time Dec. 2016 rolled around, so many on social media were ready for the new year. 2016 was a year filled with celebrity deaths and one of the most contentious election cycles in U.S. history. Nov. 8, 2016 was a date that all the analysts had anticipated would result in the historical election of our first female president—Hillary Clinton. However, as the night became later and morning closer, it soon became clear that there would not be a second President with the last name Clinton.

While that “highest and hardest glass ceiling” was not to be broken, history was still made. Donald J. Trump, against all odds, beat Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, and Ted Cruz for the Republican nomination. Most of the commentators and news anchors said he wouldn’t win the nomination, but he did. However, the idea of Trump beating Clinton seemed almost even more of a longshot.

She had served as First Lady of the United States, U.S. Senator, and Secretary of State for the Obama administration. No was surprised when she announced her candidacy for the presidency in the 2016 election. It seemed like the natural next step. It was as if she was destined to be President. However, Trump’s outsider rhetoric, celebrity image, and populist messaging beat her to the highest office in the land.

It was a combative election cycle, but it was (finally) over. Some were ecstatic, others were frightened with shock. After a few weeks, the dust started to settle and more and more people accepted the fact that Donald Trump would be our 45th President.

However, he would not simply walk in to the White House and tell Barack Obama to “beat it”. No, we (the U.S.) have a process for this steeped in tradition and pomp and circumstance. Presidential inaugurations are meant to not be just a celebration of the new president, but a celebration of our democracy and another example of the peaceful transfer of power.

However, Trump’s inauguration would soon be making headlines, but for what seemed to be all of the wrong reasons. Arguments were had with members of the media as to how big the crowd sizes were and huge crowds filled streets all over the world protesting the new POTUS. In the midst of all of this craziness, I was actually there. Here is my experience at the inauguration of Donald Trump for President:

A group of friends and myself stayed the night with one of my relatives in Charlottesville, Virginia. We then drove to one of the Metros that would take us into the heart of D.C. Surprisingly, we were able to catch the first train we saw and easily found seating. As we walked through Washington, D.C., tickets in hand, I observed that I had never seen so many red “Make America Great Again” hats in my life.

We went through security and my $4.99 glass bottle of ginger tea was confiscated. However, perhaps even more tragic, my friend’s sticker laden Nalgene bottle was taken as well. We were both unhappy, but we moved on in order to witness history. We went on to the mall with surprising ease. As we faced the Capitol building, I looked around and saw all of the smiling faces with red caps eagerly waiting for the man they had voted for to become the next POTUS.

I always imagined that the inauguration was a formal gathering filled with positivity and celebration. While celebration did occur, it soon felt like a college football game more than anything. Anytime a Republican hero, like Bob Dole or George W. Bush, appeared on the screen, roaring applause followed. However, anytime a Democratic figure appeared, like Bernie Sanders or Nancy Pelosi, low booing echoed through the mall. Hillary Clinton’s face appeared on the screen a number of times, but the crowd never failed to boo her mercilessly. After experiencing this, I was not surprised to find that the sight of President Obama resulted in endless taunts, but I was shocked to find that even the appearance of Michelle Obama warranted jeers. And, as the final example that the 2016 campaign anger still lingered, the crowd heckled Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer throughout the entirety of his five-minute long speech.  Naturally, however, the crowd was significantly more celebratory and excited during Trump’s speech in which he painted a dim picture of the last eight years, but expressed faith in his own ability to fill the role of savior as our country. 

My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!