How I’ve Kept My Cool While Stressed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

Everyone gets stressed at one point of time or another during the college time period, but how they handle their stress determines how they come off to other people. I have never handled my stress well, but over the past couple of weeks, I have actually surprised myself. Normally, I lose my mind and start getting easily irritated at everyone and everything. However, these past weeks have been different for me.

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been working an intense schedule at a local pizzeria, have had due dates right back to back and attending a rehearsal once a week for an upcoming choir concert. Over all, this schedule takes up about 90% of my day, so I never really get much sleep. I was honestly ready to lose my mind by now sometime over this past month, but I think I know the reason as to why I have not gone crazy, yet.

The only thing that I realize have been different for me over the past month is that when I start to get frustrated with assignments, I stop looking at the assignment and walk through my entire dorm building along with the conjoined dorm. This little walk generally takes me anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes and really clears up my head. I’ve noticed that I also just go on these walks if I start feeling anxious for any reason.

As a result, I have come to believe that these walks have become greatly beneficial to my everyday life. While I still may not get much sleep which should be causing me to snap, I have not. Even waking up in the middle of the night has resulted in a nice little walk, and then I am good to go once again. If it were not for these little walks, I would have probably gone crazy by now.

Avery Dill

Brenau '21

I am a Mass Communications major and Music minor sophomore/junior at Brenau University. I am also the Senior Editor for the HC Brenau chapter,  an HC Campus Trendsetter, HC Chapter Advisor, and an HC Campus Expansion Assistant.
My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!