This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

Ah. It is now four weeks into Fall semester 2018 at Brenau University and let us just say I am not in the emotional place I thought I would be in right now. I am extremely homesick! I have been trying to figure out why this emotional wave has hit me so soon, but I just cannot seem to figure it out. I thought that maybe this would have happened to me later in the semester like maybe around the end of October, but it hit me early.

It is like I can smell my mother’s breakfast when I wake up every morning, or I can even hear my father calling me “beautiful” sometimes. This is the mark of homesickness that I have reached. I have been trying to deal with being homesick the best way I can by staying in contact with my loved ones back home every day, but it only makes it worse sometimes. I know that I will eventually get over it, and I will go back to being regular ole’ bubbly Azayla. But, let us just say for now that I will be the sad and emotional Azayla that misses her parents very much!

I do know that there are other people who struggle with this as well like my roommates and knowing that we are all struggling with the same thing makes us all a little bit more comfortable with the issue. When I am around my roommates, it is like we have our own little family at school which makes up for the time I do not get to spend with my actual family. But even though I am homesick, I do have good and genuine people around that are like my family at school. So, eventually, with all the love surrounding me at school, I will definitely get over it!

Hello everyone,  My name is Azayla Rodriguez and I'm a Junior at Brenau University. I am majoring in Communications with a concentration in Journalism and Media. Also, my minor is Dance.  I've been dancing since I was 4 years old and it is truly a passion for me. My other passion is writing along with music. I found my passion for writing as a Junior is high school and I found my niche for feature/magazine writing my second year at Brenau.  I hope you all enjoy my blogs!
Junior, Mass Communication major with a concentration in Entertainment Management. Campus Corespondent and Campus Trendsetter for HC Brenau.