This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

Let’s face it, college is overwhelming. For each person the college experience is significantly different from any other. I can recall on numerous occasions having mental breakdowns just from the pressure of my freshman year alone. I had built up a reputation in the Tea Room for my constant consumption of Special K Strawberry protein bars. Towards the end of my freshman year the ladies behind the counter often teased me by asking if I ever ate anything else. Aside from the difficulty of pursuing a higher education, learning how to balance multiple collegiate activities is by no means a walk down Sunset Boulevard.

I think it is fair to say that college is not for the weak. However, what makes the college experience by far one of the most memorable and enjoyable times in a person’s life is what happens between moving into your first dorm room and walking across that stage to receive your degree. Having fun and enjoying oneself, believe it or not, is actually a huge aspect of the college experience. Here at Brenau University that enjoyment is found not too far from the rest of the University’s values.

A Brenau woman is one who is dedicated to serving others and her community, so many join a wide variety of clubs and organizations, and participate in greek life. The vast majority of the student body are Greek and easy to spot. They hold positions on SGA, Honor Court, as Peer Assistants, and the Senior Honor Society, just to name a few. Greek life is highly supported on campus. If you take a walk down Prior Street you’ll notice that the newly built Greek houses are painted white in contrast to the muted and older buildings surrounding them. They look as though they are saying hey, look at me-and a sight they definitely are! Spanning from the door steps of Alpha Gamma Delta  to the tail end of campus at Delta Sigma Theta, Inc, each Brenau greek chapter is unique. The rocking chairs out front look warm and inviting as if to say: Your new home awaits; we saved a seat just for you, without uttering a single word.

For first year students, especially those who have never heard of sororities prior to college, Greek life is just as foreign as understanding the college-sphere. The pressure to go Greek is definitely there. The human desire to find a place of belonging and friendships begins to stir within oneself. The first weeks of the fall semester are strategically organized in the promotion of Greek life, from the organizational showcase, Greek Sing, and to the looming days of recruitment. Later in the semester one can even spot a rush flyer from National Pan-Hellenic sororities .

Then there are some questions that creep into the back of your mind: What am I really getting myself into? Is it anything like the movies? How do I join? Is going Greek really necessary to gain a college experience and connections? How do I know which sorority is right for me? Is going Greek for me? The best way to get them answered is attending events such as Open Forum, the Organizational Showcase. Also talk to the Rho Gams and do a good bit of research yourself.

However, all Greek members will tell you their organization encompasses much more than the appealing things that they show you. There are many behind the door activities and service work that may or may not always get publicized. Rachelle Brown of Brenau’s Rho Eta chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha, Inc had this to say concerning greek life: “As a proud member of the Rho Eta chapter of the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated I can say my greek organization is cultivated of women who fit a distinct mold and standard. A standard that not many but few fit, and I am sure many Greek organizations all have their own distinct standards which they uphold and seek in potential new members. That being said, not every woman who goes through rush/recruitment is guaranteed to fit those standards, and that should not be taken personally, but as members of these organizations we are only looking out for the interest of our organization.” So what does that mean to the ladies looking at Greek life from the outside looking in? The honest truth about it is, Greek life is not for everyone, and almost all the Greek collegiate women that I have spoken to have attested to this statement. The truth can be brutal and tough to swallow for those who went through recruitment and did not get a bid or rushed and received a letter of rejection.

Who says I need greek letters across my chest to be at home? Will my college experience be less fulfilling, and will I be left with less enjoyment? Truth is you do not need a Greek life to satisfy any of those. Although women who have gone Greek have nothing but wonderful stories to tell, they will always encourage those who are interested to consider going Greek.

At a women’s college that already promotes and fosters sisterhood, friendships, unity, and a growing list of collegiate opportunities, Greek life from the outside looking in is a win-win situation. Regardless of if you join a Greek affiliated organization or not, college is about creating and defining yourself, and whichever path a Brenau woman chooses to walk she is destined for greatness and success.

“From the outside looking in, you can never understand it. From the inside looking out, you can never explain it.” -Unknown

Originally born in Rivers State, Nigeria, I was raised in Lawrenceville, Georgia. I am a third year student at Brenau University, majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in English. I am a bit of a word enthusiast, movie lover, smartphone photographer fanatic, and a storyteller at heart. Drawn to the spontaneous adventures of traveling to new places and trips to the city, I take pleasure in meeting new people. I live a life that is driven by faith, love and creativity, which I constantly strive to use my passion for fashion and writing to serve others.  "Be what the world is afraid of, be a rebel with a cause."
My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!