Dear Customers: A Note from a Hostess to her Hungry Diners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

Dear customers: A Note From A Hostess To Her Hungry Diners

1.    If it’s so busy that you can’t open/walk through the door that means we are busy. Please don’t be surprised if you have to wait a long time.

2. People with a party more than 5: Unless you come early you will have to wait a long time. For instance,  if you are a man with a party of eleven please do not come to me asking what’s taking so long. Because the truth is it’s you! You’re holding everyone up so we can find enough tables for your large party so please have pity on others.

3. Please don’t tell me where to seat you. If I sit you at a table that hasn’t been cleaned yet do not complain that the table is dirty. That is why we tell you to wait while your table is prepared.

4. No you cannot make reservations on the phone it’s not that fancy

5. If I tell you that your wait is 25-30 minutes what I really meant was: I hope you packed a snack in your purse because your hunger will get the best of you.

6. The hostess doesn’t mind if you tip her. Traditionally tips are for servers or cashiers but the hostess wouldn’t mind. Although she won’t move your name up on the list.

7. Don’t ask me why you can’t get this specific booth at this specific time. That booth was being prepared for the people who are ahead of you. You can’t jump the line. We have a system.

8. People with a party of five or more please don’t leave without telling us.  We spent a good time pushing your tables together and made everybody wait. At least come back and tell us that you cancelled

9. Please don’t stare at me. I know that you are hungry but staring at me isn’t going to improve this situation. Next time bring a snack ,like crackers.

10. When you tell the hostess your name please do not be impatient if she didn’t hear you the first time. Restaurants are loud. Plus a lot of you customers tend to not  speak up or enunciate. So when saying your name speak up, speak slowly and enunciate.

11. In case you wanted to know the best time to come is 6-9,  the late afternoon and early evening. The worst time is 9-1. Just don’t come

12. If you pull into the parking lot saying to yourself it looks busy it is.

13. If you see people loitering at the front of the restaurant that means they are waiting to be called. They have been waiting for a while and you probably will to.

14. If you ask specifically for a booth we will give you one. But since everyone wants booths and there is a lot of people in front of you that means you will have to wait longer. If I were you I would take whatever you can get otherwise…I hope you brung a snack

15. Yes we do have an intercom but it is not loud enough to reach your car. So please don’t wait in your car

16. If you are standing outside when I call your name please hurry up and walk in. If you were really hungry you would be running. If you take a long time to come into the restaurant we will call the next party. So please don’t come in saying you just called me when you took like five minutes to get here.

17. If you woke up at 12:00 you come in for breakfast and you wonder why it’s taking so long it’s really your fault. Nobody told you sleep in that long and come in at the latest time.

18.  Lastly please remember it is a privilege to be served. If it wasn’t for all of us – hostesses,cooks,servers- this restaurant wouldn’t be possible. If all of us stopped doing our jobs you would never get the food you desire anymore so just be grateful. Because some people don’t have restaurants. They cook at home