College Republicans Host Their First Meeting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

Following a meeting and ensembling of the College Democrats, the College republicans have followed suit. The College Republicans of Brenau University held their first meeting in room 204 of the Owens Building Thursday, Feb. 2 at 6 p.m. Attendees of the meeting were greeted with red, white, and blue popsicles and Airheads.

Freshman history/political science major Emma Johnson, who serves as the Chairman of the chapter, explained her purpose for taking interest in beginning the republican chapter. “My drive to re-charter the College Republicans chapter at Brenau comes from the experiences that I have faced at Brenau,” she said. She said she didn’t plan to start the College Republicans when she first made it on campus. “After my first semester of this tension, I realized I had to do something.”

Johnson referred to much of the tension that has happened on campus since the election of the 45th President Donald Trump. This tension is something even the president of Brenau University, Ed Schrader, took notice of when he sent a mass email encouraging all students to remain vigilant and get involved with politics.

Senior mass communication major Jessica Hollister, who attended the meeting agreed. “I’m a senior at Brenau, and I felt like I’ve never had a safe place to share my views,” she told the crowd of nearly 20 students. “My opinions differ from other people and that doesn’t mean I should be attacked for it.”

Johnson said re-chartering the Republicans on campus has not been easy, but a fulfilling experience. The chapter is an affiliate of the Georgia Association of College Republicans and the Hall County Republican Party. From creating a constitution, the Intent to Organize form, a lot of work was required. “Thankfully, I am surrounded by people who care about the future of this organization and provide nothing but words of encouragement. “Emma has worked really hard to make this organization happen,” said faculty advisor Heather Hollimon, who also serves as the advisor for the College Democrats of Brenau University. “I’m very impressed by her effort.”

A commonly discussed topic at the first meeting was the significant change that is happening in the Republican Party. Johnson said this election has caused an immense amount of change to the Republican Party. “President Trump has proven people wrong time after time, and I am eager to see him continue to expand the foundation of the Republican Party to everyone,” she said. “The Republican Party is the party of diversity, and we are continuing to evolve into an even more diverse party.

“I want people to understand who we are as a party,” said junior mass communication major, Sara Jane Bowers who serves as the Vice Chairman of the organization, “and not the stereotypes.”

To join the Brenau chapter of the College Republicans, you must pay proper dues which are $8 for the semester. For more information on the College Republicans at Brenau University like their Facebook page. 

My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!