Change is Inevitable: An Open Letter to Anyone Feeling Suicidal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

Many have felt the overwhelming desire to just curl up on the spot, to dissolve into oblivion, to sleep forever. For many, it’s an acute sensation soothed by the passage of time and/or a good nap. For some, that feeling is constant. According to Suicide Awareness Voices of Education, suicide is the second leading cause of death for Americans ages 15-24. When you’re in that frame of mind, positivity about the present or optimism for the future is virtually impossible. Everything becomes monotonously horrible, a monochrome grayscale pile of garbage. Needless to say advice from someone who enjoys living is like drinking obscenely sugary syrup that’s simply impossible to swallow.

I’m an open book about the fact that my friend since the fourth grade committed suicide. My dear friend Taylor was 16 years old when she took her own life. I think about her every day, but as the end of the semester nears and I’m reminded that it’s almost been a whole year since I graduated high school, I find myself thinking about her more. And that’s what motivated me to write this.

One of my favorite pictures of Taylor, circa 2012.

Taylor and I circa 2011. 

When Taylor died, I couldn’t imagine things getting better or even changing. I truly thought I’d spend the rest of eternity crying face-down on my bedroom floor listening to sad songs about depression and loneliness. To my genuine surprise, things did change. And they will change for you. Now, I won’t promise that things will get better because that’s such an overused phrase and it’s also a lofty promise that I can’t guarantee. But I can guarantee change. Think about all the changes you’ve experienced in the past year. Lost a job. Got a job.  Ended a relationship. Made new friends. Moved across town, across, state, across the country. I can’t guarantee that things will get better, but I can guarantee that things will change. Think about all the opportunities each change has opened up. Don’t let the gray sameness fool you into thinking that you’re stuck where you’re at forever. The change may not be dramatic and obvious. It may be as subtle as the sky changing from gray to blue to purple to bright red.

Maybe you will change or the things around you will change, but things will change. And maybe those changes will show you that life truly is worth living.

All the changes I’ve undergone and have seen happen in the world around since those lonely nights of crying on the floor are equal parts inspiring and heart-breaking. They remind that change is inevitable, and I won’t be stuck being miserable forever. But they also remind me of all the changes Taylor missed out on. All the changes you’ve undergone should serve as a reminder and inspiration that you will move on from where you are at. There’s so much more life beyond this day. It’s always too early to quit.

Suicide is the second leading causing of death for adolescent and young adults ages 15-24, but it doesn’t have to be. I won’t say things will get better, but I will say that they won’t stay bad forever. 

Need help? Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1 (800)-273-8255

Playlist to Combat the Blues

1. “Hiding Tonight”- Alex Turner

Tomorrow, I’ll be stronger 

Running colorful, no longer just in black and white

2. “Blue”- Marina and the Diamonds

Give me love, give me dreams, give me a good self-esteem

Give me good and pure, what you wating for?

Give me everything all your heart can bring

Something good and true

I don’t wanna feel blue anymore 

3. “Move On Up”- Curtis Mayfield 

Remember your dream is your only scheme 

So keep on pushing 

4. “If I Ever Feel Better”-Phoenix

I feel the chaos around me, a thing I don’t try to deny

I’d better learn to accept

There are things in my life I can’t control

5. “Time to Pretend”- MGMT

I’m feeling rough, I’m feeling raw, I’m in the prime of my life

6. “Oblivion”- Grimes

‘Cause when you’re running by yourself, it’s hard to find someone to hold you hand 

7. “Obsessions”- Marina and the Diamonds

I want to erase very nasty thought that bugs me every day of every week

8. “Silhouettes”- Colony House 

Nothing is perfect 

For that, there’s no cure

So don’t you start to bury

The good with the bad and the ugly

My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!