This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

(GAINESVILLE, GA) – On Tuesday, the Student Activities Board (SAB) hosted “The Hook-Up,” an interactive workshop geared towards talking about serious subjects with college students and what they should be aware of when it comes to “hooking up.”

It started with an engaging discussion in which the audience members came up with words that described the gender stereotypes on sex, rape, and survivors of any form of sexual assault. The facilitator wrote out a list for women, one for men, and one for the word rape of the words the audience said are most commonly used or thought of when the topic of sex popped up. Some of the words called out were slut, easy, and experienced for women because the audience felt that those were the statements that men and even some women used when the words sex and women where put together. In attendance was Brenau Junior, Ismaelle Occeus, and she stated, “The words people said for women felt really degrading to hear, but the sad reality of the situation is that these words are so common and have become the norm.”

When it came to the men’s list it was a totally different story. The audience believed words like pimp, stud, and player were used when men and sex were put together which in some aspects is a lot more positive than the women’s words. Brenau Hospitality Chair, Gisely Alvarez, stated, “Men will praise other men for having multiple partners…as women we need to stop using those degrading words as a compliment. When we do, we’re allowing men to use the same exact words in hurtful ways.” This exercise sparked the conversation of hooking-up and the difference between a healthy hook-up, a regretted hook-up, and rape.

What makes a hook-up healthy was the first one discussed, and the audience came up with the idea that if both parties give consent and throughout the process neither says no, then that is considered healthy. The group defined a regretful hook-up to be where both parties gave their consent before and during but afterwards thought maybe that was the wrong person to do that with or some things should have gone differently. Rape was the last topic discussed. The audience thought that it occurred when either someone feels pressured to an extent where they do not feel safe, someone is forced against their will, or someone is drunk and cannot fully give their consent.

This statement ended the discussion of rape and its differences from a healthy hook-up and a regretted one. The event ended with a question and answer for audience members and flyer pick-up with more information on the topics discussed. For more information or to book The Hook Up, email info@bass-schuler.com or call 773-481-2600.

My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!