Be Who You Wanna Be

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

When we were young little girls we all went through the phase of princesses dressed in pink, fairytales dressed in dreams, and Barbie dolls dressed with a thin waist, long blond hair, and white skin complexion. The Barbie doll that only looks like 10 percent of the world. The Barbie doll that every little girl clinged onto and hoped that one day they will be as beautiful as her. The Barbie doll that didn’t attempt to have brown skin, or almond-shaped eyes, or black hair. Yes, that Barbie doll. The doll giving every girl false hope. The young black girl would look at this doll and hope that her skin would transform to a lighter complextion, the curvy girl would skip meals hoping that she would wake up being thinner, and the Asian girl would pile on makeup praying that her eyes would become wider. These girls didn’t have to do anything to themselves to start with, but because a person made a doll with a perfected smile and long hair, a young girl sees this and thinks this is beautiful, and wants to imitate something that is impossible.

Just recently all of that changed. Mattel made a new Barbie! Barbies are available in all shapes, sizes, and colors. They made babies look more realistic. They made a Barbie to match all races and hair texture. I’m really glad that Barbies have changed. Now every girl will feel perfect. That’s all girls really want to feel like, perfect. But this new “perfect” Barbie is now telling girls that imperfections make you perfect. These new Barbie dolls speak for themselves. They say, “ it is okay to have chocolate skin, It’s okay to have curves, it is okay to be short.” This doll says that you are beautiful just the way you are. Barbie be who you wanna be is truly telling girls now you can be who you wanna be but do not change who you are.

Barbie’s new Fashionistas come in variety of sizes, including Curvy, Tall, Petite, and Original. The line also features a variety of skin tones and hair textures and styles.

My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!