Winter Skin Care 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Winter means a lot of wonderful things like snow and the holiday season, but it also means harsher weather that can damage your skin. Luckily there are lots of products you can use to keep your skin moisturized and healthy even when the weather’s working against you. Here are some of my favorite products from my daily skincare regimen.

For your face:
A lot of people tend to think that they only have to use sunscreen during the summer, but you should wear sunscreen every season. I like to use a moisturizer with SPF when I don’t plan to be outside for too long. Otherwise, I use a separate moisturizer then apply sunscreen after hydrating my skin.

I’ve been using Origins’ A Perfect World since high school. The moisturizer is SPF 25, but it doesn’t leave your skin feeling oily and heavy. It’s best for combination/dry skin and is oil-free.

Estee Lauder’s Advanced Time Zone is an age reversing cream that comes in two versions: normal/combination and dry. It has a lower SPF than A Perfect World, but my face stays moisturized all day.

After I get ready for bed or feel like my skin is dry, I like to apply a bit of Clinique’s Moisture Surge. With its light-as-a-feather and highly effective formula, it’s proven to be one of the best non-SPF moisturizers I’ve ever used. Unlike other moisturizers, this one will keep your skin hydrated without constant reapplication.

For your lips:

To combat the chapped lips that always accompany winter, I exfoliate and then apply chapstick or lip salve.

I like to order handmade exfoliating lip scrub from websites like etsy.com. Right now, I’m using a mint exfoliating scrub I purchased from user MyBeautyAddiction. I limit how often I use this product to prevent irritation.

Before bed, I apply either Rosebud lip salve or Carmex’s lip balm from the jar. I found that Carmex is one of the most effective lip balms I’ve ever used.

When I go outside, I make sure to use a lip balm with SPF. Nivea’s A Kiss of Smoothness Hydrating Lip Care is SPF10.

For your hands:

My favorite hand lotion is L’Occitane’s hand cream. It’s formulated with shea butter so it’s super rich and smooth. Once you start applying it, you’ll understand why it’s a winter product staple.

A cheaper alternative for hand cream is Nivea’s Smooth Nourishing Hand Cream. The formula is a lot lighter than L’Occitane’s hand cream so it may be better for those who don’t like heavy creams.

For your body:

Regardless of what season it is, I always moisturize after every shower. Here are some of my favorite products that keep my skin hydrated and not reptilian even during the cold months.

Vaseline’s Cocoa Radiant Body Lotion is a formula rich enough to keep your skin hydrated all day long. It’s also budget friendly.

Nivea also makes other budget-friendly body lotions that work. Take note of what type of lotion you purchase as Nivea has different formulas depending on what kind of skin you have. 

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.