This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

I have never been one to drink a lot of water. There are times when I am more prone to staying hydrated, like during the summer, or when I’m exercising. Otherwise, you can forget about it, I’d rather be dehydrated than have to pee every hour.

For my New Year’s Resolution, I decided that it was time for me to be hydrated. I started looking around for an app that might help me track my water intake and stumbled upon Plant Nanny. Plant Nanny calculates how much water you should be drinking every day, and then lets you pick out an adorable little cartoon plant. Every time you drink water, your plant gets watered as well. If you drink your allotted amount of water every day, your plant begins to grow and eventually can “retire” and you get to pick a new baby plant. If you don’t drink your water, however, your plant dies. I have already had to bring two plants back to life.

Plant Nanny is the only app that has worked for me because it makes me think that by drinking water, I’m taking care of some adorable little plant. If it was just my health on the line, I wouldn’t care as much, but when I think about my poor little cartoon baby plants, I want to chug an entire water bottle.

Being consistently hydrated has helped me stay more awake, and has even helped lessen my coffee addiction. Who knew a little cartoon plant could have such an impact?

Campus Coordinator at Brandeis University 
Emily Rae Foreman is a senior at Brandeis University studying Internationals and Global (IGS) studies with a double minor in Economics and Anthropology. She has been acting President of Her Campus Brandeis for two years, as well as a tour guide, an Undergraduate Department Representative for IGS, A writer for the Brandeis Politics Journal and Vice President of the Brandeis Society for International Affairs.