Ways to Revamp your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

As the new semester starts there is always the chance that you might have had a room change or are in the mood for something different than last semester.  Here are some great tips to help you find that “something different” in your own dorm room.

1)   Move the furniture around: If you live in a single, maybe reorganize the furniture. Changing how your room is laid out helps bring a little change to what has been the same since you moved in. If you live in a double check that it is okay with your roommate first, and maybe you both will want to reorganize the room together.

2)   Change your decorations: Maybe invest in some new posters for your walls or print out some pictures of you and your friends you took together last last semester. Allposters.com has a lot of great deals and fantastic posters for very cheap. Walgreens or CVS prints photos at a great price and super fast. Move around your old posters; maybe add some decorative lights, these little changes will help your room feel new again. You can also pick up some cool lanterns and hang them using command hooks from your ceiling, but make sure they don’t have lights in them because those will be a major fire hazard. 

3)   Reorganize: I find that sometimes just spending a few hours moving some things around and switching places of things in your room makes it feel like new.  Invest in some cool organizers from Target to add splashes of color if you don’t have them already. Amazon.com has some cool bookends and I love using those to add some flare to where you keep your textbooks.

All of these little changes will help you revamp your room for this coming semester and add pops of color and personality into the plain dorm rooms we live in. Have fun with this, and if you are set on moving your bed, you will probably need some help from your friends, I don’t encourage you try to do it on your own. Also make sure that you avoid hanging things on pipes or sprinklers, the last thing you want is a CA making you take down your awesome new decorations.  Remember that you can make these rooms pop with personality really easily if you want to.  It makes living in them and doing homework in them much more enjoyable. 

I am a Junior at Brandeis University who is passionate about writing and who loves surfing the web for useful articles and having fun doing what I like.