Valentine’s Day for Single Ladiez: Galantine’s Day Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Valentine’s Day used to be a day where everyone would come together with cute little candy hearts filled with one-liners from each of your thirty something classmates. As a third grader, I was beyond ecstatic about receiving mounds of candy and several cards saying: “you are so nice and funny”, “you are so sweet”, “you are so smart.” This really did it for me. Sadly, years went by and Valentine’s day turned from receiving mounds of single Hershey kisses to who are you holding hands with to who are you banging tonight and to the classic, “I am single, what’s wrong with me?” Well today we are shunning out these negative ideals and disgusting social stereotypes. Valentine’s Day is about great passion and love, not necessarily being in an average relationship and going to dinner because that’s what you “should” do.

As a single female I am very aware of what this day means, yet each Valentine’s Day millions of other single people have come together not for mourning, but for rejoicing. Why sit in your room and think, “why is this happening” when you can think, “Thank god this IS happening!” Let’s make a night to remember and enjoy being single as a 20 something year olds. So I sent out messages to fellow females (including those in relationships) to get their input on what activities can be done on Galentine’s Day. Here are the responses:

·      Go on a girl date! I’m going to go to a baseball game with some friends and then sprinting to happy hour. I’m making it a friend appreciation day!

·      Find some girlfriends, eat candy, inhale ice cream, and have fun with yourself!! Who cares if you don’t have a boyfriend! I’m going to wear pink and drink wine with my best friends.

·      You do whatever you want to do it doesn’t have to be a romantic day.

·      I’m getting my nails done, making a dinner for myself, drinking 4 glasses of wine, and hitting up the Boston bar scene. My mom mentioned sending me to a male strip club so that may happen.

·      Love myself on that day. Get a nice dinner with my girls, shop, and make myself feel special. Maybe get some pampering done. You have to love yourself before anyone else can love you so why not.

·      Honestly, Valentines Day is just like any other regular day when you do not have a boyfriend, and I do not feel like I am missing out on it by not celebrating with anyone. Last year, my best friend and I made cookies… but that was mostly out of boredom not out of celebration.

·      If you’re single: go out with your single girlfriends, look hot, get extremely intoxicated, and dance the night away. And wine is a must

·      I drink Rosé.

Now I went a little deeper and asked how certain females feel about being in a relationship on Valentine’s Day versus being single:

·      I’m pretty ambivalent about being single. Of course Valentines Day is a reminder of the fact that I am single, but being single isn’t necessarily a bad thing, especially at this particular point in my life. I find that my friends make the best Valentines because they never disappoint me, and that’s probably a more fulfilling Valentine’s Day anyway.

·      I feel great being single this year. It’s a great opportunity to observe other couples and better gauge what I’m looking for in a relationship. Plus I can sleep with whomever I like so I’m happy.

·      If you have one but you’re not with him, hope he sends you flowers and chocolate and then call him to say how much you love/miss him and that you wish you were with him.

Whether you are single or taken, straight or bi, long distance or no distance, Valentine’s Day is meant for expressing your love for loved ones… including friends and family. So please, ladies put on your finest red dress, invite your best friend over, open a bottle of wine, and make the most of this Valentine’s Day! Soon this day will be a memory, as well as being in college, so try not to dwell on the concept of being single as a 20 year old. You’ve got years to find someone. Right now just find yourself and enjoy the moment. Mazel Tov to you all. And yes I plan on taking my own advice so feel free to stop by my Ziv and drown your sorrows away… with a little dancing of course. 

Repping the 305. From Miami to Boston. Likes: House music, Tuna Fish, Rom Coms, Sunshine Dislikes: Track, Roller coasters, Snakes
I am a Junior at Brandeis University who is passionate about writing and who loves surfing the web for useful articles and having fun doing what I like.