“Toxic” Dance Group

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Names of the Founders: Asia Hollinger (AH), Keturah Walker (KW), Mariah Cohran (MC), Kiaina Gomez (KG), Erika Carter (EC).

Her Campus: How did the idea for “Toxic” first come about?

KG: During my second semester at Brandeis I became close friends with Mariah, and she would tell me how she was a part of a majorette team and that she wanted Brandeis to have its own team. She had already came together with our four other friends, and once the five of us were sure we wanted a dance team we got started with the process of getting approved.

AH: When I was first accepted into Brandeis I decided to do a little research on the student activities here on campus. I realized that there was no majorette dance team, marching band, football team; nothing that I hoped my dream college would have. So I decided to make a change and I immediately told myself that I would start a majorette dance team here on campus.

MC: Well, when I was in high school I was a part of a majorette team that I had to leave early, and I wanted to continue this in college. I have always had a passion for dancing, but I was never able to actually continue dance because of other priorities at home. When I came to Brandeis I knew I wanted to start a dance team but I didn’t know how. A couple of older students on campus advised me to talk to Asia because she had been wanting to start up the same type of group as I did.

EC: During my first year at Brandeis, I became friends with the other founders of Toxic and learned that our two choreographers Mariah and Asia were on majorette dance teams in high school. Being from the South but spending most of my life in the North, I thought it was interesting how they wanted to bring this type of dance to Brandeis. I was interested in the type of the dance and excited to work with everyone and bring such an interesting type of dance to campus. I knew that I wanted to dance but I wasn’t sure where I wanted to go with it so I decided to become a part of Toxic and help bring it to Brandeis and it eventually became something that was not only new to me, but something that I also became passionate about. It is a type of dance that allows us to be ourselves.

KW: I remember talking to Erika, Mariah, and Kiaina about the idea that Asia and I had before coming to Brandeis. When we saw that they were on board with the idea, we all decided to meet about every week and just plan, plan, plan! Most of our second semester of freshman year and the summer was spent planning, making proposals, emailing and everything like that. We thought of several names for the team, most of which didn’t stick like Toxic did.

Her Campus: What has been the most rewarding part of founding “Toxic”?

AH: For me, the most rewarding thing about founding Toxic is knowing that years down the line Toxic will make large impacts not only on Brandeis’ campus but in the community also. We don’t plan to just dance: we truly want to make a difference.

EC: The most rewarding thing about founding Toxic to me personally is the excitement that we have brought to campus. As a new group, it is not always easy to make yourself known, but people know us, they like us, and ever since our first performance in September, we have been getting multiple opportunities to perform at and outside of Brandeis. It’s a great feeling knowing that people know who we are and want us to show off what we work so hard for.

MC: The most rewarding thing part about toxic is being able to dance and show people what makes me so happy. Toxic is our baby. Starting a group that meant so much to me in high school brings so much joy to me. We also get to raise the confidence of other girls and have them express themselves in a positive way.

KG: The most rewarding thing about founding Toxic is knowing I started it with four of my close friends that are pushing me to do something different. I never danced before, so Toxic was a challenge for me to commit to at first, but my friends pushed me and made me now love dance, which is rewarding.

KW: I find the most rewarding part of founding Toxic to be the recognition of other cultures on campus. Yes, having our own culture supporting us is ideal and rewarding as well, but different cultural clubs such as MELA and BASO have reached out to us and asked us if we want to perform with them in their big cultural shows. It makes me feel as though we are quickly reaching the goal of Toxic. Yes, we want to be an appealing dance team because dancing is spiritual, therapeutic and fun, but a personal goal of mine (and something we all agreed on implementing as an objective of the team) was to spread and teach “southern culture.” Seeing the culture spread and the excitement of others about Toxic makes me so much more proud of all of us.

Her Campus: What are some of your goals for “Toxic”?

AH: Some of my goals for Toxic are to recruit people of different races to join in order to enlighten them on such a valuable piece of Black culture, volunteer at high schools and middle schools in the community, and create an afterschool program called TOXIC. It would also be a dance team, but it would also include mentoring, counseling, and a Big Sister-Little Sister program.

EC: Some of my goals for Toxic are to make sure that even after we leave Brandeis, it continues. Toxic is something that everyone worked so hard for to bring to campus and it is a unique style of dance that Brandeis has never had before. We don’t want Toxic to be something that is temporary.

MC: My goal for Toxic is to come back when I graduate to see that some of the girls decided to take on our roles and continue Toxic. I would love to see different generations of Toxic and be able to reminisce our old times of being in the group.

KG: Some of my goals for Toxic are to travel to competitions like other teams on TV. I just want Toxic to glow up and be known by everyone because it is our baby, and watching it grow with people and be in newspapers would just be amazing to see.

KW: My long-term goal is for Toxic are to become one of the best, well-known, and competitive auxiliary dance teams in the country (long term). I want this to be something that will be on campus for future generations to come. Of course we are starting small, but I know that if we continue to put hard work and dedication into this seed that we have planted, it will flourish very quickly and become a beautiful dandelion. I want us to be able to be recognized on campus as not only dancers, but leaders in our community as well as on campus. When people see a Toxic dance I want them to think of friendly, talented humanitarians who care as much about performing and dancing wonderfully as they do about service and giving back.

Her Campus: Describe some of the feelings you have when on-stage.

AH: I am nervous before every performance, but once I start to dance I feel like a totally different person. I feel as though my personality changes with whatever song it is that I’m dancing to. I feel some type of high when I’m on stage and it’s perfect; it’s only a feeling that I can get from dancing. Nothing else makes me feel so good.

MC: When I am on stage I am a completely different person. I forget all about my stress and problems. Dancing has always been my way of expressing myself without ever verbally speaking.

EC: When I am comfortable with the moves and I hear the music, I can dance with no hesitation. Of course it is a bit nerve racking at first, but you always want the crowd to know what you have so you have to give it your all, and it builds your confidence so much.

KG: The first time we performed I was so nervous because I never performed a day in my life, but now I love to be on stage and have all eyes on us.

KW: While I am onstage, I feel adrenaline rushing through my veins. I feel free of all inhibitions and I feel as though I am having the time of my life. Not only because we are dancing, but because we are on stage, together. We are experiencing this feeling of joy and happiness together.

Her Campus: Why do you love to dance?

AH: I love to dance because it helps me to forget all of my problem and my worries. It helps me to drop every ounce of baggage that I am carrying on my back and leave it all on stage. It boosts my confidence and I feel untouchable and free from everything in just that single moment.

MC: I love dancing because music has always been in my life. Growing up I was always pushed to pick up an instrument or sing, but dancing was the only way I could speak for myself. Dancing gives me life and excitement. If I am not dancing I am either thinking of new dance moves or watching choreography. Dance is my stress reliever. Dancing was my confidence booster and I love being completely in control of my body and actions. When I see a dance I immediately want to know how to do it.

EC: Dancing was never something that came naturally to me, but as I have been working with my peer founders, I have learned so much about what I am capable of when I dance. Dancing makes me feel happy, free, and fierce.

KG: I love to dance because it pushes me to do things that I have never done, and it is pushing me to commit to something. It is fun to be around friends, and getting to be on stage is one of the best parts.

KW: I love to dance because for so long dancing, and performing in general, has been my escape. I can let go of that Computer Science assignment, the pressure of being so far from home, personal issues, or whatever I had been feeling before dance. It isn’t just a hobby for me. Dancing is a lifestyle. I know it sounds cliché and corny, but that’s my life. It allows me to tell a story to the audience, which then allows them to let go of whatever they had been feeling, even if it is only for a few minutes. Sometimes I feel that I am not the best with words and dancing is therapeutic. It helps me to express myself in ways that my words cannot do. I like that dancing doesn’t only make affect me, it affects whoever sees it. It’s not only therapeutic to the dancer; the audience is also relieved and I love its domino effect. Dancing challenges other types of therapy also, in that it is also an exercise and creates that energy rather than depletes it. It’s just so special to me. When I tore my ACL and Meniscus playing basketball, and found out that I wasn’t supposed to dance, I prolonged the healing process because I would still dance. I absolutely love dancing and would not know what to do if dancing was not a thing.

Mya is a sophomore at Brandeis University. She is an Education major with minors in African and Afro-American Studies and Anthropology. When she’s not writing, you can find Mya playing for the Brandeis women’s soccer team or attempting to navigate Boston. She also enjoys dancing and is a firm believer that what she lacks in technique she can make up in enthusiasm. She’s originally from sunny South Florida and can frequently be seen sporting her winter coat indoors. Follow her on Instagram @myagoodman for sporadic postings of her life!
I am a double major in Anthropology and International/Global Studies with a minor in Creativity, the Arts, and Social Transformation at Brandeis University. As a native Southern Californian, I have a born passion for avocados and an innate dread of cold weather. In my free time I love cooking (with avocados of course), drawing and writing.