books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Top 6 Mistakes People Make When Studying for Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

1. Study party! – There are some exceptions, but generally, if you go to the library to study with friends… you won’t get much studying done.  It’s not your fault!  What’s easier and more fun: studying the functions of adipose tissue or talking and laughing with friends? Since you’re stressed and overtired, you’ll probably laugh at anything. (Yesterday I couldn’t stop laughing at a plant).

2. Two is NOT better than one – This might sound harsh, but if you’re struggling to understand chemistry I wouldn’t suggest teaming up with someone who is ALSO having trouble with the material.  Friends should want to help friends, but too often someone will pair up with a friend who knows just as little, if not less than he/she does.  YOU’LL JUST CONFUSE EACH OTHER!  Your best friends this week should be your textbooks and your TAs.

3. STUDY ALLL NIGHT BABY!!!! – Sounds like heck, doesn’t it!? Well, it is, and what’s even more devilish about it is that it often goes wrong.  Staying up all night to study for a test the following day isn’t a necessarily productive method.  Actually, it’s scientifically proven that sleeping is the best way to absorb knowledge—so instead of feeling guilty or anxious about sleeping instead of studying—consider it just as good, maybe better than studying!  Get rest AND education simultaneously!

4. Cramming – Delaying work is never a good idea.  In regards to cramming for exams: it’s particularly counterproductive.  Why?  Because, pertaining to #3, cramming takes the place of sleep.  Biobehavioral scientists claim that students normally learn most efficiently when they hold a consistent study schedule.  So, if you can, study a subject for a few (3-4) hours each day rather than studying a semester of material in one night.

5. Time to study – scieneenglishfrenchhistoryenviro! I know it seems productive to study everything at once, but it’s actually the opposite.  People wrongfully study for all of their classes in one sitting.  Thirty minutes for math, thirty minutes for English, thirty minutes for French.  It’s much more effective to commit your entire session to a single subject, instead of intermixing one subject with another.

6. Too much pressure – It’s absolutely important to study and do your best. You’re paying to be here so you want to get your money’s worth.  It also feels great to get good grades to see the fruits of your labor!  But remember, if you don’t get the grade you hoped for, it’s okay.  Putting too much pressure on grades makes school a drag; excessive stress can also become really unhealthy.  Life is short!  But much longer than a final, so don’t worry! There’s plenty of life to live after 50 multiple choice questions and an essay.

I am a Junior at Brandeis University who is passionate about writing and who loves surfing the web for useful articles and having fun doing what I like.